Electrical starting gremlins in a Golf

Rookie

Ok, thanks to this stupid crappy weather SH1 between my house and work is 4wd spec flooded, I have a fuel injected mk2 golf, and whist driving through the water the car lost power, pulled over to the side of the road and restarted it, it ran fine, reved cleanly etc, for the first 3-5 seconds and then promptly resumed running on 1 and having no power. I waited 5 or so minutes and it cleared up so I figure that it's just water in the electrics, but I thought it was odd that for the first 5 seconds it would run fine, anyone want to have a guess as to what was going on? I don't want a full break down because its fine now, but I'm just curious as to why it would run for a bit then not.

The vibration of driving may have shaken some water into the electrics and the heat of the engine may have dried out the electrics somewhat

(if its in the cap then that water will still be there as condensation cos there is not too many places for the water/condensation to escape)

Tis what I figured, but it doesn't make sense that it would run fine, and then decide not to?

The Trump did this after I steam cleaned the engine bay (and was too lazy to cover the electrics)... it fired up no worries, drove out the gate then seconds down the road dropped a couple of cylinders.

Removed dizzy cap, did what KK said and away she went.

Its Digi.

It's fine now but may pull the cap off and give it a blast with some compressed air. I still can't figure out why it would go the not, perhaps I'll just have to put it into the box of mechanical mysteries.

If you are going to blast the dist. cap with air - then put your finger over the centre contact - its only held in by hopes, dreams and a little spring.

Too much air will blow it clean across the room - never to be found again..

Ok just pulled the dizzy cap off, bone dry. Still causing trouble, so on my way to get lunch I stopped off at the local garage (there was a queue of cars that had water trouble) and asked him what's up, he said it would be a wet air filter, made sense so I pulled it out just now and bingo no problem. It must have been running on the air in the intake duct, and once it had exhausted that it would die. Cheers everyone!