Flibois moped cafe racer

BlownCorona

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

diagram says to me thats a c90 coil its just missing the wire from the condenser(c50 shows no consenser)

power goes to the wire you have and points goes to the condenser, the wire already on the condenser should be going into the coil.

just try it you wont cook it with a measly 6v

that coil HAS 2 WIRES, going by your logic the system would then be running 2 caps? i see no logic in mounting a cap on the coil if its also got one in by the points when they could just earth the primary to the core and save 3c of copper. And if it is an ac coil running 6v dc to it will not damage it at all it will simply make a weak or no spark

c50 frame yes, but thats where c50 gear ends, c90 engine, with *hopefully* a c90 coil, and the loom is very simple, and will be made from scratch to accomodate the bare minimum.

the coil is used yes, and i was looking last night at the cap, and there is a point on it where it may be exposed solder, its hard to tell.

while sam, was a motorcycle wirer and i hardly know anything about coils, it does seem weird that the coil would be used on a c50 when it has a built on condenser. joe seems to know what hes talking about also.. im stuck between a motorcycle wirer and a guy that knows alot obout wiring motorcycles :lol: your help is greatly appreciated guys.

with the consender, is the body of the cap effectiviy a terminal, or are there 2 terminals on the ends like a conventional capacitor?

Valiant - To expand on my project, i basically started with my honda c90 engine, no electrics or anything. i then got an old c50 frame from dattochriswagon and it was pretty easy to slot the engine in.

the wheels, seat, handle bars, top tank, and various other little bits, came off my now stripped out yamaha v50 cafe racer. and now im at the point where i need to wire it up, for the most part, very simple.

what i got from the wiring diagram (the one Governersam posted) the battery, is wired to the positive side of the coil, the negative side of the coil (potentially the condensor on my current coil) is wired to the points, that will earth out and cause a spark. there are then 2 wires from the alternator that provide AC power, i will build a bridge rectifier (4 diodes aranged in a special way) that converts ac to dc. and that it hooked up to the battery for charging. there is then a white wire from the alterator that is used to power the head and tail light, i dont know what style (ac or dc) of power this wire puts out, but it doesnt really matter.

i then need to put together the carburator, which would have been easy, if i had been sent a slide needle kit, and not a float needle kit. but alas, the carb is 99% ready to run the engine, once i get the needle into it, and work out the throttle cable.

i see,

studying the wiring diagram of the '2 wire coil' on the c90, i think youre right, there should be a wire coming off there for the points.

this also means sam was right i might add. it just apears i have the wrong coil, because a wire has come off.

atleast i hope this is the case, will wire it up in the near future and see what happens.

Ok. That's what I thought.

Contact the people who sold you the one wire coil and tell them to give your money back, the one they have supplied is for a magneto ignition.

Go down to your work and buy a 6v coil (for a balast ignition) one of those little GT40 style ones should fit in the side cover.

Wire it up without a balast resistor B+ to the coil + and coil- to the condeaser and points. The condenser has to be earthed too.

If your points have gap/clean contact you should have spark.

Also thanks for the discription of the bridge rectifier.

The lighting will all be DC so once those diodes are the special way you will be all good. Failing that you can buy a rectifier for not very much.