Savage's sunny days

felixx

• 2 weeks later...

Cool car man - Josh is a GC and he sold you a good un..

What size SU's are they? 1 1/2 or 1 1/4??

FWIW - I put 2 and 2 together with your carb bogging issues and this car - I thought you were meaning a normal downdraught type carb but now I know what you mean I can tell you that SU's are very easy to set up.

I have had owned a lot of cars with SU's and got quite good at setting them up - was also an MG mechanic for several years which gave me even more experience on them.

If I was down south i would help you set them up but I'm sure there is someone down there with SU experience who can do just as good or better job than I.

The key things is making sure the carb parts are free to move, that the oil is the correct viscocity in the carbs and also that the jet height is set correctly. (there are other aspects but lets take care of the basics first)

First - with the engine not running - stick your finger in the inlet hole and see if you can you lift the piston freely - how much resistance do you feel? Next - when you let it go does the piston drop back down to its seat smoothly and quickly?

That sounds good for the pistons

For the jets - the first thing is to get a rough starting point for the jets to tune from - there will be a nut on the jet head on the bottom of the SU, above that there is a nut (number 1 in the diagram below) wind that in till the nut is fully home (just till you feel it touch home) and wind it back out 12 flats (thats 2 full turns on a 6 sided nut)

Do this for both carbs and it will give you a reasonably good starting point and will ensure both are even. (close enough anyway)

You should be able to turn the nut with your fingers - it won't (shouldn't) be tight.

su-hs4-external.gif

I may have some 1 1/4 filters in stock at my lockup - will need to check when I'm down there next - hopefully Saturday.

• 1 month later...

The cam is definately a reground one.

The end of it has SML1 stamped on it.

It was reprofiled by Smiths regrinds. (Hence the "S")

Smiths Regrinds were bought out by mace engineerings motor reconditioning division. I'd borrow money and bet that it you went and saw them, they'd have the specs for that cam. Only their book will list it as an "ML1"

That cam started life in my A15. I ran it for a while in an A14 I still have in the shed. Then young josh fitted it to your engine when he recond it.

When I first had that motor in my old 1200 coupe, it went really well. (but not a patch my current A15)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...