Vivaspeed's scrap metal lathe

vivaspeed

Well as a completely unexpected event on the weekend, I managed to obtain a rather large piece of scrap metal, which once went by the name of a Colchester Bantam 2000. I know some people like lathes / tools / workshop stuff so decided to start a (re)build thread.

Went with a mate to buy some Land Rover diffs and the guy selling the diffs had a fire damaged Colchester lathe in the corner of his shed - some quick inspection and discussion and we had a deal for the mighty sum of one Ernest Rutherford. These were made from the 1980s through to the late 90s from what I've read and they are still made as a Harrison M250.

Although the lathe itself hadn't been on fire, the fire had melted the plastic knobs, some guards and a few other bits, but most of the damage came from the water/extinguishers, and the fact it had been stripped down and left sitting for a few years.

It's not complete, the motor is gone (plus is likely to have been 3-phase), the tool post is missing and I have slight concerns about the state of the cross slide.

I inspected the headstock, got it turning and checked all the gear selectors, as well as re-assembing the chuck to see if it was all okay. That part should be good. Sprayed heaps of CRC onto the cross slide and tail stock so will leave for a while to soak in. Some gears are missing from the screw cut drive/autofeed so I don't think I'll bother with that.

Will save the high cost bits (motor, refurb of stand, tool post etc) until the end when I know that the core bits are not too stuffed - corrosion is very light surface rust and cleans up with some oil and a scotch pad.

It will be a reasonable project (to join my other incomplete projects) but if all else fails I should get my money back on TM or from the scrappy (it weighs about 400-500kg).

If it cleans up okay and I can get a cheap 1.5hp motor and some other bits as required I might have a basic lathe for under $500.

Some pics -

Unloading into my garage, weighed heaps (manual later revealed ~500kgs) - engine crane was only just big enough to get it off the trailer.

lathetrailersmall.jpg

lathesmall1.jpg

img0554if.jpg

And this is what a real one looks like...

bantam2000.jpg

I have a single phase motor for sale, not sure if it would be suitable?

I think it's 1 hp.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =477333390

Thanks but I really need 1.5hp+, yes your one is a 1hp.

hate to spam your thread,but is that cat in the 2nd pic about to cop a squat and lay cable?

id love to learn how to use a lathe

haha hadn't noticed that but I think the cat was pouncing on something (grey blur under LF paw) he doesn't make a mess on the floor.

• 1 year later...