Gearbox Oil

felixx

Been reading my Haynes Manual - Ford Anglia 105e

it suggests the gearbox oil be checked every 1000 miles and changed every 5000 miles.

I have never ever ever done this

1) Should I check/ change gearbox oil

2) if the answer to 1) is yes, then what oil do I use?

Regards Felixx

Extreme pressure usually relates to the the oil being "sqeezed" through the gears as opposed to a pressurised casing. Talk with an oil rep ie. Elf and they will sort you something suitable. If you have know joy, I can help you out. Your gearbox has high tolerance bearings, rotating parts and gears so yeah it needs oil changes. Intervals would depend on how hard you use it and quality of lubricant used. Ironically, most contamination is introduced during oil changes.

penrite recommends a 75w85 gear oil for use in the 105e anglia. They've a pretty choice applications listing on their site www.penrite.com.au but they have soem whack ideas on putting older vehicles onto synth shit. the equivalent mineral oils are all I'd use. plus their engine oils are high zinc still which is choice for us old mobile pedallers.

I'd say change it every couple of years or 30k or something. Ideally most people with older cars will never do the miles required to 'wear out' their gearbox oil before they change it just out of pure 'things to do'.

It's good practice to check the gearbox oil level every time you change your engine oil. same with diff oils and all that, however if you're onto it you should know if you've got oil leaks and/or whether they're beginning to develop.