URGENT paint help- chch

corey_jorg

have choosen the colour i want for my car. visited rjp in christchurch and they cant help me with the colour, tried to sell me on another colour.

the colour is mazda jewel green, d8 1973-75

i have 2 codes.

dulon/dulux/duco is 15898

ppg is 44979 NOT 100% SURE ON THIS THO

dupont 42761

19591172gz6.jpg

scan0001ym.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

now the issue is who sells dulon/dulux/duco or dupoint automotive paint and is it a very good quality? or do i have to get rjp to colour match the dulon/dulux/duco-dupoint paint sample i get from another local paint shop? the panelbeater wants to use mipa.

ive had a quick look on google but am hopeless so any help will be awesome.

cheers corey

Ring Union Hardware a call in Wellington on Monday - talk to Trevor and tell him the paint code - he's about oldest coot and most onto guy I know - he's usually pretty helpful so he may be able to help you out with the mix - either via fax or make it and send to you.

Dulon is alright. I'd go for dupont 600 series though

ok cool. have done some research and can get dupont through resene here in christchurc but is only open mon-fri 9-5 so will have to call them.

is there any difference between dupont and mipa? the painter wants to use mipa but i want to know if they are the same quality etc.

just that i cant find the colour i want looking through their samples nore have anything to take in and colour match.

Any paint store should be able to make the paint up going from the code.

Normal painters (house/commercial) will get 30% discount on any paint from Resene.

Gaz

yea went into the local resene today and they said they couldnt help due to them only doing house/commerical paint and that i had to go through resene automotive.

will give them a bell on monday to see what they can do.

hopefully they also give resene account holders discount as my old man is the boss of a large painting company, "lets roll"

also noticed on this pic it has some extra info under the title "D8 olive-met"

is it telling someone what colours are needed to make this colour?

standoxmazdacode1.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Debeers good, standox is good, dupont is good. Haven't used MIPA but its a bonus if your painter knows his product.

Often mixes for the same colour code have several options due to slight changes over the years, could be different flakes or different hues. Toyotas are a slut for it.

mipa is at the lower end of the scale along with metalux, lesonal, fortec and resene

dupont, standox, ppg and debeer are your everyday good shit type paints

rjp were probably talking poop any colour can be matched or made in any brand of paint, they probably didnt have the code in there computer due to it being old, ive had this issue before with them and automotive colours(ppg) give spray store a call they have a much better database of colour formulas and stock spies(good shit) and metalux(average shit)

By and large, basecoats are pretty similar. I find the cheaper ones are more watery and you get less coverage than expensive paints but its the clear that makes the difference

^ this, the more expensive brands do have a better UV resistance aswell

ive taken to the spies clearcoat systems as it seems much more resistant to runs and buffs up alot faster

Mipa is a good product I paint all my perk jobs in it because its a bit cheaper than ppg and always been happy with it.Rjp should be able to make that colour or close . Good luck mate I can see if I can find that colour on the ppg computer system on Monday if u like?

Mipa is a good product I paint all my perk jobs in it because its a bit cheaper than ppg and always been happy with it.Rjp should be able to make that colour or close . Good luck mate I can see if I can find that colour on the ppg computer system on Monday if u like?

yea i think i will have to visit a couple other stores in christchurch and get a small sample made up so the painter can take it to rjp and get it matched in mipa paint.

hatch is never going to see water, be outside at night, or be outside at all to be honest. is abit of a show pony and for display. painter does a good job as have seen his work so dont want to chuck a new brand in there and fuck him and the job up.

Anyone can lay down basecoat. Its very simple regardless of paint type as it dries so fast and you're only putting on multiple thin coats anyway. As long as the paint is mixed thoroughly, you dont get banding from your spray pattern, miss spots or get thin patches.

You wont fuck him up by using a different brand unless he's trying to save himself money in having to supply brand specific reducer when he already has some for mipa. Once again, all the hard work/time/patience/finishing work goes into the clearcoat