FUELFLOW electric fuel pumps

EURON8

So our ex 2L carby ford courier is now pwered by a 2.2L carby.

New motor while being quite similiar now runs electric fuel pump and auto choke etc.

I got one of those NZ made fuelflow brand pumps.

i got the FF-015 model as apparently the 'book' said at local parts store.

Started it yesterday for the first time since swapping motor.

Idles up fine. Bit splutterly at times but revs smooth most fo the time.

Took it for a hoon and it accelerated hard and well till a bit into second and it spluttered and revs died slowly.

After stumbling around the block i devised what it was doing.

Once it starts to die, turn key off, turn key to ON, wait a moment, start engine. would start and idle fine, take off, would cough and splutter, clutch in let idle a bit, take off again, repeat till back in drive way.

This tells me pump is flilling float and supplying enough at idle but cant keep up with demand at revs.

Previous owner told us engine was 'tuned/timed' to run 98, but currently tank as leftover 91 in it.

Dont reakon this while be causing any issues.

Current pump is 12V and flows 1.5L/m. But states thats its a suaitable replacement for carb vehicles up to 3L

Now just been here http://www.fuelflow.co.nz and for a 2.2L courier it reccommends the FF-020 pump which flows 2L/m.

Now is .5L/m enough of a difference in flow to effect my situation?

Also, would this also be effecting why the filter before the pump wont fill up? Before first start we filled pump-carb line with 2stroke fuel (as stated in instructions), then fillled filter, and poured heaps down tank-filter line. All in an endeavour to prime it as just filling line after pump didnt work.

Will idle all day long in current setup without revving it.

FYI: while not ideal, pump is located below float bowl / whole carb. Instructions state closer to tank is best but up by carb is fine aslong as its below carb. Snozzins datto has its pump (same brand) located in engine bay also and runs all good.

I had similar prob when fiting elec pump in place of mechanical. When it had mechanical, carb had return to tank and found with elec ran shit. Blocked return line and has been fine ever since. Could be worth a go if thats the case but if was originally elec pump then doubt this will help

Pump is wired direct from battery through relay if I remember correctly. Can you hear the pump at all? Those pumps will make a loud clacking noise if they don't have fuel in them. If its starting to clack I would suggest pump is to far away from tank and it is just struggling to pump fuel in its current position. If not then its likely to small so your best way to test that is to block the return line and see if it becomes better if it does well you will want a bigger pump.

I used to run a fuel flow pump on my datsun. Once I built an angrier engine, it used to run out out of gas at 6000rpms. (And hit the wall spectacularly) Upgraded to 3/8 fuel lines, (Including tank pick up) and fitted a holley blue. Problem solved.

Too late to send it up with mark?

I 'think' now it might be a priming issue.

I filled filter up and as much as i had down the line and started it.

Filter level runs down to about 10mm from bottom and holds this much in it.

Float has clear window. At idle it will slowly fill, once full i took it down road and goes for a bit then cuts.

So the longer you leave it to idle the more fuel gets into float and will run nice for longer.

Gutted as its way faster and grunter now and i wanna do a skid au haha. might go block return and hoon down road.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

So after trying to get airlocks out of the line, and wondering why the fuel was pmping into the carb and not the bowl.

Thanks to 10fizz we discovered that the huge fitting on the carb was the return not the feed

that makes 2 engines in a row i plumbed the fuel the wrong way round.

In my defense the first way seemed logical due to 'anti dieseling solenoid' placement etc.

Seems to work now and no fuel wants to come out of return as the pressure cut in the pump must be lower than float bwl release pressure or what not.

Test drive all the way to work tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.