Mildly urgent painting questions

zep

Cam and I have finally got on to painting the inside of the boot of my car. We've laid down one coat of 1K CF etch primer, but can't continue tonight because it's too damn dark and the light in my garage is pitiful.

We're ready to lay down the first coat of paint - it's 2pack Autothane - but are worried about the length of time between primer and paint. The instruction sheet said 25 mins, but it looks like it might be more like 25 hours as we've both gotta work tomorrow.

Are we going to be safe painting straight on top of the etch after work tomorrow?

Should we sand it first? Or lay down another coat just to be safe? (I'm hoping the first will be fine).

Need to know asap as we've gotta get this paint on tomorrow and if I have to get up and do it at 6am I may just do it.

Cheers!

You generally prime over an etch before painting anyway. They're acid etching and can react with some topcoats. imagine the extra time will do it no harm.. scuff it with a painting scotchbrite pad

This plus then prepsol to get anything extra off. Generallly prepsol is used directly before applying etch or primmer, use a filter and fill your gun up then spray it on. Light light sand between each coat as advised.

Any coat after primer, i.e colour coats you should also use tach wipes after filling the gun/beore spraying. This is to get any small bits of hair/fluff off which may have been left from the prepsol rag... if spraying in a garage this step is almost useless as it will all be floating around in the air.

Gaz

Looks like the consensus is to scour it and then lay down the top coat(s) which is ok. Just a bit've a mission as it's all complex geometry. There's some shit that got into the paint in a couple of areas due to the hose hitting the side of the car so there's some work to be done anyway. The bare metal was prepsoled and tack ragged even before the etch primer so it looks really good already (aside from the aforementioned bits).

I use 3M pads for tidying up between coats as they conform to the surface a lot better than a piece of sandpaper.

There's no primer with this job. The lads at the paint shop reckon that the etch and then top coat is fine. It's only the inside of the boot so it's not like there needs to be any build to allow sanding.