92 mirage shuddering

mutiny

so been trying to fix the mrs car, its a 92 mirage

motor it self runs beautifully until you put it into drive, then it shudders like a bitch, dont really know fuck all about front wheel drive stuff or automatic gearboxs, what possibilites are there?

and when exactly does it shudder - as soon as you put it into drive and it's idling, or while it has some revs and driving?

what's the idle speed set at? how are the engine mounts? these are the first things I would be checking.

4g31 from memory. it shudders as soon as it goes into gear, is relativly smooth while driving, bit sluggish etc. engine mounts are good.

is there anything which mechanically makes the motor rev a couple hundred rpm higher when it goes into gear or anything?

^Motor should be reving higher in neutral than drive (at idle) on most autos I think. Are you sure it's not just resonant vibration? Our 94 corsa has terrible resonance at about 650 where it idles in drive, but if you rev it even slightly it stops.

Na because it idles and revs perfectly in neutral, but yea did timing plugs etc already

Often the ignition can play up under load.

There is something that can fail in the carb that gives them a vacuum inside the carb. I can't remember what though...