mr2 20valve issues NOW MOSTLY FIXED

BlownCorona

Hey all, have just finished swapping out the bearings in my mr2 with a silvertop engine in it,

went to turn it over and nothing, not even the click of a relay or anything (i never turned the engine over untill now due to the bearings so it could be anything)

anyone got an idea of where i should be looking or what could be the issue?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, put the battery directly in and the starter now turns the engine freely, but only if i hook the trigger wire up to the battery. not off the key :/

engine didnt really show any sign of fireing, but i havnt checked spark or fuel or anything yet

Edit: when an engine is started, is the only event, the connecting of the starter motors trigger wire tp 12v?

ie, the 'start' section on the key dosnt engage anything else, and if need be i could run a new wire from the key to the starter relay?

does any of that make sense?

where is the knock sensor located?/whats a knock sensor look like?

i didn't remove anything other than exhaust, oil filters, sump, oil pickup, baffle plate thing, and the caps and bearings, oh plus the o2 sensor on the exhuast, but that's back on. but again, i cant say that it would have ran before i touched it as it had a few parts missing (back on now) and i didnt hit the started till after it had fresh bearings.

i did notice a little cylindrical unit near the oil filter that seemed to be unconnected from everything?

i should note, that i need to tighten up the distributor (and the rotor may not even be the right one) but i sprayed some engine start down the manifold a couple times and got one or two coughs of ignition,

the cars been sitting for 2 years so i expected a but of a battle to get it running right, just the first modern engine ive really worked on, so many wires!

20v will run without the knock sensor

Starter only running from a straight battery feed is usually worn contacts in the starter, you see many people fitting another starter relay to band-aid this. Could be something wrong the the original starter relay if it has one (some Toyota's of this era did some didn't) anyway check the starter circuit over, then pull the starter, contacts will be cheap as shit

its got a starter relay, this is were im pulling the wire off to hook up to 12v to engage starter. correct me if im wrong (very possible) but if im getting the starter engaging sweet as by powering up the signal wire then the contacts should be sweet as and its more likely a relay or even more likely a connection problem between key and relay?

Hmm dunno with out checking it myself but the circuit that powers that factory relay is pretty basic it only goes through some kind of fuseable link and into that relay. What are you getting on the pins at that relay when you hit the key? this should be piss easy to sort out without running any dodgy extra wires

Check continuity and operation of the starter relay also

Did you machine the crank when it spun a bearing, oversize bearing? and put it together yourself? just curious. You should be firing this up with an oil gauge hooked up after bottom end work, i would also double check the dizzy is setup in the correct position. Probably even double check fuel pressure if you could

didnt machine the crank, came to the conclusion that it was fairly good. but yes, i intend on putting an oil pressure gauge in for when i first run it properly, pretty sure ive got one here, but if not ill pick one up or steal the one from the corona for a bit.

i don't really want to go adjusting stuff right away before i get it cranking properly and everything tightened up and operating as it should, theoretically it should be set up just fine as it was parked up a couple years ago and left, just a few parts where removed, at a guess for the guys other 20v converted car or something.