Chassis Clipping.......? legal or not

Seedy Al

hey guys, bit of a random question, but does anyone know if Chassis Clipping is legal any more?

by Clipping i mean taking one chassis and stiching on the front section or 'clip' of another.

i have heard of plenty of cars in the past that have had this done, but someone recently told me it might be illegal to cut and weld chassis sections together.

Only reason I am asking is that i am planning on importing a f100 from the states this year, and a few of the ones i have so far seen have been clipped. and dont want to get something over only to find it will never fit the Regs

thanks in advance chaps

buyer beware on clipped chassis. Some of them are so badly done its unbelieveable. Also if buying a clipped car, make sure all the front sheetmetal ie inner and outer guards are fitted correctly and the wheels sit centred in the arches. Heaps of unfinished projects for sale for this reason. There are alot of after market clips ie fatman fabrications, that are apparently quite good. I guess ask for pics of the welding etc and look for details like gussets and fishplates.

Yea if its done well and your certifier is a GC it will be fine, you can get away with nearly anything in NZ if its done up to standard and safe.

This, we have it pretty sweet tbh. Im amazed at how easy it was to convince my cert guy to let me just cut and weld as I please, as long as I can show calcs to prove shit is strong enough he said he is happy.

its dope.

So is f100, so goddamn dope.

You want to bring in a pre slammed/dope one or do it yourself

EDIT: Dope

Kinda keen to bring one already done, however at this point I'm pretty open minded.

the perfect one was on ebay just before new years, but it sold.

It took me by suprise and i'm not cash ready, Was about to call everyone i knew who said they wanted to buy shit off me haha

And that one had been clipped, hence asking questions now.

I guess at the end of the day, if i end up with something that needs work due to dodgy work, i will just re do it.

Yea be really careful. When it goes for compliance, if the welds are noticeable most likely you require a repair cert. Old mans got a Renault Clio V6 in for compliance at the moment, it that failed for accident repairs, (done by Renault hong kong) and it was pretty well covered, but the underseal didn't match the factory so the inspector went probing and decided it need to be stripped back

repair cert only covers repairs, ie accident repairs, back to original spec.

any welding when its to do with a modification, is covered by a low volume cert.

repair certs can be a pain in the ass specially when the cars been painted. had a look at an hq ute a while back, had nice paint...... had to be stripped back to bare metal for repair cert because it had repairs in the sills, then paneled and painted again. that would rip my undies

Imo grafting another front clip on of the same model would come under 'repair'.

yes if that was the case you would be correct

what seedy is talking about is chopping the front off an old beam axled drum braked leaf sprung truck and fitting the front clip off a camaro or hq or something ifs/disc brake/way more slam/much nicer to drive