Villiers Velo Racer

kicker

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, I think I could  attach some small plastic containers quite easily for a test.

Cut a hole in a peanut butter jar lid, put on carb and screw on the bellmouth to hold it in place, cut hole in jar then screw onto lid, boom, instant airbox.

yeh don't make airbox. well not a retarded massive one. either get the intake length right(for rpm range where u want power), orrr if you want make something like steelies picture. It wants to be quite thin only 20-30mm or so and about 400% larger than carb throat/inlet. I use peanut butter lid with a sock over it. Works nice but could get same effect with correct intake length. You will notice this is pretty much how filter housings are on a lot of stuff like weedeaters and lawnmowers etc where they don't have room for proper tuned intake. Victas use a massssive snorkel mainly for dust/clean air but also it makes the talks. They run lean without the snorkel on stock carb settings. all the fuel mix that gets push back out the carb when the port closes doesn't get lost to the atmosphere. I think. Maybe adding some reed valves would limit this effect

edit: I had the length right on my old bike and it ran sweet with no filter. but had to change it for this bike for packaging reasons. adding the jar lid and sock made it run ok even tho length is wrong/not ideal

edit: its all to do with resonance shit. pressure waves pushing the mix around and stuff. trial and error is the only way unless you are a genius with a super computer/have lots of experience. I believe 'still air' is a load of baloney. Similar to how 'twostrokes need back pressure'.

So in summary try everything lol

One good thing is that it still accelerates pretty good, gets up to 50 before a full lap, maybe make another rear wheel but this time use a 12" rim as the pulley

Probably clutch slippage going on too, will get one of you less husky fullas to have a hoon and see what speed it gets to

So this morning I did this

20130520_115624.jpg

Ran a 12mm drill down the bore, increased diameter by about 1mm lol

Then

20130520_124534.jpg

20130520_124519.jpg

Cylinders off for a bit of porting perhaps and a tidy up.

It's amazing how much shit/grass/rust is on the pistons and crank

Edited by kicker

Pissed around a bit more today.
Found one of the rings on the rear engine had a chip out of it, not sure where the chip went but the piston and bore look fine, maybe broken when previously disassembled. The two spare pistons I have are different too, the Atco has super fat rings and the other Villiers only has a 45mm piston, it still runs at least but will try hunt down a replacement.

20130521_144827.jpg

Have been doing some reading on Villiers singles tuning and have a few plans for porting.

One thing I found is that hollow gudgeon pins can bleed off some pressure from the primary compression through the ports before the piston uncovers them so I dug out two solid pins which I'll clean up and try, probably won't make difference but that's what it's all about haha

cool. solid gudgeons will be helluva more heavy/wobbly at speed, with an already silly deflector piston

i have two sets of those rings in good nick, happy to flick one or a pair your way.

perhaps catch you at KKs garage tomorrow as i need to get that copper tube to you anyway?

Choice, yeah I'll be up at kk's from about 7:30pm, keen for a ring, can't remember if it's the fat or thin one, I'll check.

Didn't think about the extra reciprocating weight, book also advises a solid alloy or nylon slug can be used with 1 thou clearance and loctited in.

Also looks like mine are just over 92cc's