Welding tips (website)

NaN

I've been going over this guys tips and tricks, if you can get past the basic look of the site there are some AWESOME tips in these videos.

- each video has tips which are a little off topic as well, this guys loves to talk, so I get alot out of each one,

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/wel ... minum.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

good find. spent an hour watching videos haha

... thats great dude, I'm signed up to this guys youtube feed, he's got a fantastic way of explaining things, and his voice and way of speaking are easy on the ear.

... his advice has helped me make purchases and form a informed opinion.

He's very good and his videos are awesome, but I think I can sum up what he says in a few sentences:

Stack some beads

Get some seat time

Get a tig finger

Stack some dimes

Seat time, arc time, under the helmet time

I dunno, I thought ARC stick was good for nothing but underwater welding until yesterday when he explained how good enough is good enough sometimes (and how sticks get places that nothing else will easily.

Arc welding is used everywhere in structural work and always will be. Far more versatile than a MIG but you need to actually know how to weld to use it correctly. Its not just point and shoot. Don't forget that welding is trade. "good enough is good enough sometimes" What!

Andy.

Arc welding is used everywhere in structural work and always will be. Far more versatile than a MIG but you need to actually know how to weld to use it correctly.

... yeah after watching that video I was thinking I might get some stick time in, at some point.

I'm sure I'll do just fine I've got alot of welding time under my belt (and the scars to prove it :P so to speak,) I'm in the process of moving away from mig and into TIG and Auto Tig, I'd like to get some spray welding time in.

Its not just point and shoot. Don't forget that welding is trade.

... seems like you have to work the puddle just like normal, but with a different method. splatter seems to be an issue though

... didnt quite follow the last comment, explain ?

"good enough is good enough sometimes" What!

counter intuitive, I know, here ya go ... http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/arc-welding-better.html

>heres the boring but detailed explanation.

>one example

> a much better one from weldingtips and tricks.

> view of the arc and feed in operation .

> this is how you avoid paying $1280 for a wire feed device on trademe and just make one of these things from the wire feed system in an old mig welder. (without even wreaking the mig welder!)

>note the beads they show at the end. NOT as nice as some of the ones I've seen from Auto tigs, I've seen other beads that look like machine welds. basically just a bracket and some switches.

slightly off topic, but what are you trying to fab that requires an auto tig? also if you do make an auto tig, how are you planning on cooling the shroud?

Not really off topic,

FAB = mainly aluminum welding, pipe work, manifolds (alot), attracted to the quality of the weld but more attracted to the speed and reduced costs that come with that. I like the click and go quality of mig's, but find the arc control insufficient, Auto tig seems like a great solution to that.

shroud = water cooled torch should do it (under $200 on tardme),

Not 100% sure I want to 'make one', more likely I would buy one, or atleast dream about it for years and years then eventually make one :P

Fair enough, if you want one get one. But in the end weld quality will come from the operator, so an auto tig wont make it easier. On a manifold you wont much more than a rods worth of weld before you have to turn it anyway, same with pipe unless you have it in a lathe. A tig is very handy to have especially a high frequency one, but i cant see the point in buying an auto one.

Fair enough, if you want one get one. But in the end weld quality will come from the operator, so an auto tig wont make it easier. On a manifold you wont much more than a rods worth of weld before you have to turn it anyway, same with pipe unless you have it in a lathe. A tig is very handy to have especially a high frequency one, but i cant see the point in buying an auto one.

agree completely,

not entirely sure I can either to be honest :P

Usually my first stop when wanting to know something about welding.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

Porjects / advice for Africa, picked up a lot of good info off there when I got my welder and still do now when I have something to weld I check to see how others have done it to save time doing it the wrong way first. Got some 40mm box section i'm itching to chop up and weld :bounce: