Hilux decides to run shittily for no good reason

keltik

Evenin' all.

My/exJohnnyB's Hilux has this nasty habit of deciding not to run whenever it pleases. 2 of the 3 times this has happened to me now, the charge light comes on. Car has an external voltage regulator and i cant remember if John said he had replaced it or just sent it a smily face.

The motor will run fairly sweet and pootle about with no troubles, then nek minnit/next day it will just instantly run lumpy, refuse to idle and refuse to fire at all if the throttle is opened too far. So to me, this sounds like an electrical fault.

When the trouble occurs, battery voltage is 12v. Resistance between block and negative terminal of battery is about 30ohm (.5ohm with engine stopped) and alternator is spinning away. The last 2 times ive just got frustrated, left it alone and the next day it runs perfectly again.

Ive inspected HT leads, coil wiring, voltage regulator wiring, body ground points and alternator connections. All of them have been sub-standard but there doesnt seem to be one thing thats causing the problems. I would just leave it alone again but would really like it to make it to pit-stop tomorrow morning so i can have an exhaust fitted.

Open to suggestions on what to check gents. I know absolutely fuck all about external voltage regulators so dont even know where to begin.

Leads are fucked, cap appears to be newish. Have new leads on the way and Johnny did the points and condensor i believe....should probably just text him and find out i guess.

But yeah, leads and plugs shall be sorted - in the meantime, what should i do about this intermittent charge light and crap running?

Stuffed a beefy ground lead on there temporarily and it made SFA difference

Is the alternator light only on at idle? If so ignore it.

My old Hilux used to do similar things and it was crap coming out of the fuel tank and getting in the carb. I used to get it running again by pulling off the fuel like and blowing into the carb with my mouth. A fuel filter sorted it in the end.

Just sayin, and not actually suggesting that this is your problem

loose fan belt? voltage drop?

if you can turn the alternator fan by hand and it slips on the belt, may be the problem.

run motor about 2-3000 rpm, voltmeter on the battery should be 13.8 to 14.2 volts.

now turn on high beam lights, wipers, heater, etc to full, recheck.

if lots lower, its either the fan belt, or voltage drop.

measure voltage between the battery + and the alternator + under load (everything turned on as above, revving the motor)

anything more than 0.5 volts is worth looking at.

repeat with the earth terminals, but go from the batt negative to the block. also check from batt negative to the body.

if all this fails, drink beer / kill it with fire.

if light is on all the time, put batt + to the "f" terminal (field) and check as above.

voltage should rise heaps. this bypasses the regulator, and will tell you if it is a reg or alt problem.

Apologies for a potentially stupid question. But which terminal is going to be field one? I know i can rule out the big bugger but that still leaves 3 more mystery terminals.

Alrighty, so when it was running crap this morning, i whacked the voltmeter on the output from the alternator and it was about 8v at approx 1800rpm. Battery voltage at this point was down to about 11v.

I went home to try slamming a new regulator in and the wiring was different, so i put the old one back in and now it works fine again! What the fuck son. Must be either an alternator or regulator fault surely. Output was up closer to 12v.