4k running rough-missing

DangerousPerson

Just tried to do the tappets but I think I've fucked up. Set them to 5 and 9 as found on club k but now has a noisy tap, first time I've ever done it so very possible I did it wrong. I did notice one or two of the exhaust valves has a bit of play in it. Might need to take it to mechanic to get tappet clearances set (unless any OSGCs wanna lend a hand). Will get a coil tomorrow if I get a chance.

The miss seemed to be all the time before but I guess I didn't pay too much attention to it first thing in the morning. I can't find any part number on the coil as the label has peeled off.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey just spend a few days messing with sons one of these after an unknown oops jump starting. Check the fuel cut off solenoid thats is on the first jet but not the second on the carbe. Get someone to turn the key on an off and listen for a click and the carb each time or leave the key on and unplug the connector leading up to the card it should go click click as you make and break it. No power on this wire causes the car to run like a haunted shit house fine at full noise but won't idel or run smothly down the road. Link that got me to wiring dia http://actualrepair.com/starter-repair/ it was compressed with rar that was a pain and had to print it all and cut a tape it good thought it was quite clear. Funny thing about the wiring dia is the the relay should have switch power to the starter soleniod and key on power to the carb soleniod this one was the other way around so stuffed relay was not switching power to the carb solenoid = crap running. This was after doing all the normal electric stuff as above. This one here is running sweet now and also check the 2 smaller wires connected to the battery + and running to a plug connector close to the battery make sure they are in good nick

Hey just spend a few days messing with sons one of these after an unknown oops jump starting. Check the fuel cut off solenoid thats is on the first jet but not the second on the carbe. Get someone to turn the key on an off and listen for a click and the carb each time or leave the key on and unplug the connector leading up to the card it should go click click as you make and break it. No power on this wire causes the car to run like a haunted shit house fine at full noise but won't idel or run smothly down the road. Link that got me to wiring dia http://actualrepair.com/starter-repair/ it was compressed with rar that was a pain and had to print it all and cut a tape it good thought it was quite clear. Funny thing about the wiring dia is the the relay should have switch power to the starter soleniod and key on power to the carb soleniod this one was the other way around so stuffed relay was not switching power to the carb solenoid = crap running. This was after doing all the normal electric stuff as above. This one here is running sweet now and also check the 2 smaller wires connected to the battery + and running to a plug connector close to the battery make sure they are in good nick

Just checked this and it all seems to be in good order and clicks away when I unplug/plug it in.

Had another go at valve clearances and it runs so much better. Still has the miss but isn't affecting driving. It does have a bit of a tap so I will check in proper light if there is any wear. Still not 100% I have set the clearances properly but it has made an improvement nonetheless.

Also had a proper look at my coil and the numbers etc I found read - Bosch .08

-1 +15

F000250007

908 986

Su-12R

Not necessarily - measure the resistence between the 2 low tension terminals on your coil (thats the two 6mm posts on either side of the large post in the centre)

It should be around 3.0 - 3.4ohms - if it is around 1.5-1.7ohms it may be incorrect.

Though I'm just trying to remember if KE70's used an external ballast or not from factory.

Not necessarily - measure the resistence between the 2 low tension terminals on your coil (thats the two 6mm posts on either side of the large post in the centre)

It should be around 3.0 - 3.4ohms - if it is around 1.5-1.7ohms it may be incorrect.

Though I'm just trying to remember if KE70's used an external ballast or not from factory.

Just measured it and it came out at 1.9ohms...

The reason they have external ballast resistors is so that when cranking the starter it by passed the resistor and gives it 12v instead of 7, this makes the spark more powerful and enables easier starting. So when you put in the resistor and coil then also makes sure you hook up the bypass wire to take advantage of the easier starting.

Huge thanks to Pete (Valiant) for spending his Friday night going over my car and ruling out various issues. Have ruled out plugs, leads, carby, blown head gasket and have come to the conclusion it must be with the way the coil has been wired in. Am going to put in a new non ballast coil and wire it in properly and will post the results. Is running heaps better, timing is set properly and valve clearances are all good now.