non OS car WOF issue.

andy

So my wife goes to get a new warrant on the family 2001 Estima so I can get it on Trademe to flick it and down size. Comes back with a fail due to "rear control arm bushes worn" and "rear diff support mount bush worn" and a quote for $1200. Now the thing is that this place has done the warrent on this wagon for the past 4-5 years except once. The last warrant she put through a testing station and it failed on these bushes as the guy wasnt sure what they should look like so required they were checked by an engineer or toyota workshop. So I took it to toyota where it normally goes and he re-did the warrant and advised that all bushes made of this material (elastomer) always look like this and showed me examples on other cars. He's now left and a different guy has failed the bushes. Can someone eyeball the attached pics and possibly advise what you think? Im cool if they need replacing but for what he's quoting I want to be sure. Cheers.

004hne.jpg

003pys.jpg

002hqr.jpg

001cde.jpg

Its hard to say from a photo, yeah if they are really stuffed you will be able to feel it by hand.

Take it to the local VINZ etc tell the inspectors the deal and ask them to take a look, if they are quiet they might do it for free.

If you can't get it WOFed shop about for the repairs Toyota will have a maximum hourly charg out rate.

Update. Estima now has warrant. Testing station Wairau park. No issues with the bushes. Toyota must have been short of work lol.

Thanks.

Like a boss! Probably one mechanic being a twat.

I think VTNZ have a roster of things to fail sometimes. This week it's spring bushes, next week it's inner tie rod ends etc.

Did you fail a wof at one place and went on to get the wof done again and passed at another place within 30 days?

I thought you couldn't do that cos the fail gets logged in the system. Sounds good if it is allowed. very curious as this could be an easy way of getting around wof failures for rediculous things

does it have movement ?? no . ok then wheres my sticker then .

Exactly.

A couple of places have failed my Niva's bushes which are chronic for looking rooted for years when they're fine.

It's just laziness (or worse, dishonesty) really - they should always check for actual movement before failing stuffed looking bushes imho :rolleyes:

Did you fail a wof at one place and went on to get the wof done again and passed at another place within 30 days?

I thought you couldn't do that cos the fail gets logged in the system. Sounds good if it is allowed. very curious as this could be an easy way of getting around wof failures for rediculous things

I dont even know if it was logged in the system as they didnt give me a check sheet. The more I think about it the dodgier it sounds. To my knowledge, if you go for a warrant and fail, you can have it re-checked somewhere else but have to pay again.

I do that all the time, by the time they find the faults in the system they have already inspected the car and are happy to pass it. I usually just say this has been failed, I don't agree. You check it out and see what you think.

Its easier and cheaper to recheck some faults then agrue with a WOF inspector on a power trip who won't back down.

Its easier and cheaper to recheck some faults then agrue with a WOF inspector on a power trip who won't back down.

That's what I reckon too. Bloody good to know. At minimum I thought you had to wait 30 days before going to somewhere else - assuming the system would not allow them to log a pass. But now i know better, cheers guys. Sorry for the hijack