Help, im confused!! b2500 diesel issues.

Bombsquad

right so awhile ago i brought myself another ute, thinking ok its nice and ill do it up for a respectable daily driver.. FAIL.

This things confusing the shit out of me so ill try list the problems as i remember them.

Firstly ute was running fine, daily drove it for a lil while and always started literally first pop.

Then the dash lights stopped working, and gauges died (dash lights unknown, gauges are due to a fuse which keeps popping??)

Next the headlights decided to stop working, you turn them on and the high beam light illuminates on the dash regardless of high or low beam setting but the actual bulbs dont turn on.

And now the ute refuses to start at all unless jump started (and even then will on start when jumped by certain vehicles??!!) starter relay clicks but engine wont wind over, then sometimes will start easily.

Runs fine once started but as soon as you disconnect the battery it dies (is it only carby motors that run without battery connected??)

Battery seems to charge off alternator when vehicle is running, but then when you stop motor again it wont wind over or start.

Ute has been low speed crashed in the front, nothing major (new bumper, right headlight etc), but was driving fine and seemed to be a good runner with no serious issues when purchased. I took it for a wof and nothing serious was pointed out so i set about fixing it up. Fitted new headlight, bulbs, bumper etc but all stock units so shouldnt have effected anything???

Doubt its EFI model - No pumps and injection does not required computer its all mechanical.

My initial thought is the alternator has shit itself and the battery is flat..

not all of these motors are mechanical pump from what ive been told when i looked into transplanting one into a proceed..

The thought of alt fuckedness did cross my mind, However it doesnt explain why vehicle runs when jumped and keeps happily running regardless of aparent drain on electrics until utes own battery is disconected. Surely if if alt was dead it would die as soon as jumping vehicles battery was disconnected?

Sounds like...

Your alternator is not charging. There is just enough in your battery to hold the stop solenoid open with the jumper leads disconnected. when you remove the battery there is no volts, the stop solenoid closes and kills your engine.

Check your charge rate and battery terminals.

as said above, poked charging system (alternator) causing shagged battery. fuses popping due to low voltage causing excessive current drain? relay clicks some times and doesnt start due to your battery taking drain on jumper cables not allowing engine to get full cranking amps, this happens alot when tryin to jump start diesels with dead batteries as the compression they run = more cca.