WARNING:NOT OS.95 cefiro starting issues

camo_78

ok,so i think ive mentioned i own a ceffy a few times.now its not your typical rb20e auto with 5 inch cannon a31,mine is a 1995 a32,aka front skid v6.now,it hasnt been on the rd since 06(greenyed and i never did anything about it).it was starting and running fine till around middle of 2010.it runs fine when it starts,but it is a utter kernt to start.it does all it should(fuel prime with pump etc),but when you go to start it it will attempt to fire up but doesnt fire enough to actually start.occasionally it backfires through the intake AND exhaust,i had to chop goatee the other day after the intake set fire to it :? .ive done spark plugs,so i know theyre fine.its a vq20de,so 2 litre v6,individual coils on each plug.ive run engine codes via ECL,it comes back sometimes with coolant sensor,cam angle and crank angle,but then i run it a few days later and it doesnt show anything.its had me stumped for so long that i thought id ask you guys.ive asked on vq specific forums and even they dont know wtf is going on :?

PS:ive tried a new ecu,afm etc and they didnt make any difference :(

this is the offending vehicular object,was in 4nR south island 2010

cefiilis.jpg

it had a front kit on though,and thats my sister in the passengers seat,lol

does it crank over slow? these are notorious for starters shitting themselves.

it does but it doesnt.itll crank fine then all of a sudden the starter will sound like it rotates backwards once,stops,then slowly winds up again,but not to the speed it first was winding.its the only car ive ever seen/heard do it,could that be a sign its fucked??

possibly....... but that could also be caused by timing being too advanced, as mentioned above, crank angle sensor fault etc.

engine fires but tries to go backwards/breaks starter/backfires etc

timing isnt adjustable on the motor,cam angle,crank angle all fixed in one position only.suspect it could be crank angle sensor,as ive replaced the cam angle already with a spare one i had.ill try that and also starter and see what happens then,cheers for the help :D

Checked for fault codes?

Skylines Downunder would most probably be a more apt place to ask the question though..

yup,came back with coolant sensor,cam angle sensor and crank angle sensor.have replaced cam angle,made no difference so its either crank or coolant,im going with crank angle as Cletus said.

and the SDU boys may know,but id say 95% of their knowledge is RB not VQ

checked the battery and earths are ok?

yip,cleaned them all up etc,and battery is brand spankers,holds close to 13v all the time.

what he said try running a wire direct from battery -ve to ecu -ve

hadnt thought of trying that.ill do crank angle sensor and it that doesnt fix it ill try this to see what happens