STARLET WONT START

troyzakp60

starlet wont start if i leave it over night or a long duration of time,when i turn it on volt metre reads 12 volts but wont turn over is this because alternator wont e chargin?took to electrical mechanic n he sed it something in alternator maybe the only way he would find out is if he replaced it,charging me like 150,probly be cheaper to buy a working 2nd hand one,and i also thing i have a little drain so i needa un hook terminals

if anyone could help would be great

in christchurch so if anyone could have a look that would be great

cheers troy

You wanna have your volt meter on the battery while you have someone crank it over and see what it reads. If it drops heaps then the battery is probably flat/dead.

If the battery is old then it could be that the battery is just stuffed and not getting a full charge, they particularly don't like cold. Take it to a battery center or auto sparky and get them to test your battery (they should do it for free?)

To find out if the alternator is charging you need to have the car running and then put the voltmeter on the battery, if the voltage is up over 13 then it should be charging, if its dropping then the alternator isn't working.

If your alternator is charging I would say its your starter motor. Either brushes could b knackered or the bushings could be shot. Your auto sparky should be able to fix that.

People feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this

EDIT: just re-read your post, yeah try unhooking the terminals overnight and see if it does it. Drains are annoying!

You wanna have your volt meter on the battery while you have someone crank it over and see what it reads. If it drops heaps then the battery is probably flat/dead.

Do this before anything else. If it's reading more when its running than when it's not, eg 12 when not running but as you say 13 while running the alternator is doing something. If it drops to like 8/9V while cranking though, above mentioned applies.