Reverse "Popping out"

MichaelJFox

Well, I've recently acquired this MK1 Golf and the reverse gear keeps popping out, like you push down the stick then pop it into reverse and when it gets too much load on it it kind of just makes a whirring noise and goes no-where.

What should I be looking at? It's got an Audi 3a engine and box.

It has a bit of an oil leak from the gearbox, could this be a symptom of low oil?

Cheers

125rrys.jpg

Can you hold it in reverse - my old Triumph used to drop out of reverse under load and make a big bang followed by a whirring noise - it turned out the g box mount was so rooted and the g box would move enough that the gear stick would hit the transmission tunnel and be thrown out of gear.

Could be worth checking

The stick itself doesn't move anywhere I don't think, but I'll have a good look around on my day off.

Was just looking for somewhere to start, cheers.

I noticed the whole thing is mounted on a bit of a funny angle so it could be something silly like that, or just a downside to a "not-so-pro" conversion. Ha.

Took it to a guy, all the mounts are sweet, he adjusted the linkage a bit so it works better. But he thinks the reverse bit inside the box is a bit worn or the linkage is made for a four speed but being used in a 5.

So when I get some monies together, it'll be time to dissect. Probably just park in places that don't need reversing (y)

On Golfs there are a plethora of gear linkage bushes - ALL which wear out prematurely -

They are CHEAP as chips to buy genuine - like less than $10 each IIRC. Also are a complete doddle to replace from underneath the car.

Should really smarten up the shift lever action and possibly cure your popping out of gear problem.