fecking brakes

felixx

OK carrring on from my brakes issue thread.

How much brakefluid should I need to use to bleed my brakes after replacing my master cylinder?

I put in a NEW master cylinder.

Began to bleed the brakes. Got thru 750ml of brakefluid so far, trying to bleed the inevitable air bubble in the system. I cannot get ANY resistance in the brake pedal.

Doing it all the right way, starting at the left rear, right rear, left front , right front, rubber hose going into a beer bottle with an inch of fluid in it and pumping brakes till no air bubbles visible in the line. Then tightening up the nipple.

What have I missed? Sorry to be such a noob!

PS I took off all four drums and hit the brakes with brake cleaner and there does not appear to be any leaks at the drums.. (I took the drums off today to check)

Not familiar with your other thread, what kind of vehicle is this?

I know with mini's with four drum brakes, the order you have to bleed them in depends on what type of braking circuit they're equipped with. Also, bleeding past pressure limiting (bias) valves can be a real pain in the ass, sometimes the only way to do it it with a vacuum beeder.

Hi Prozac, 1967 anglia.

She has a hose leaving the master to a 4 way splitter. Each front wheel gets a hose and then one goes to the rear and is split to the rear drums.

I do not believe there is a bias valve in the system.

A Vacuum bleeder sounds interesting. I just want to get her on the road to go to the chch OS meet tomorrow.

Have run outa brake fluid now.. Will see what comes up tonight on here.

For mini's with a single circuit system you bleed in the order:

passenger front

drivers front

passengers rear

drivers rear

might be worth a shot? The way your doing it at the moment is correct for later model vehicles with split braking systems, but on a single circuit system i think you could be introducing air back into the system.

What suburb of chch are you in?

Felix, something sounds wrong. Forget about the OS meet and let's get your brakes right.

Firstly: Is the handbrake off and are ALL of the brake shoes adjusted correctly (slightly dragging). You will never get a good pedal if the shoes are not close to the drums

Hi UJ,

Good point about checking the shoes, i will check that tomorrow, but I assume they are as the brakes were fine until the master cylinder went.

And the Handbrake is off.

Cheers for the pointer

ive found on a few occasions that the bubble simply refuse to be pushed out

option 1. vac bleeder

option 2. fill the reservoir up and crack a nipple then crack a beer then pull up a seat. proceed to drink beer while watching (asuming using clear hose) bubbles slooooooooooowly make there way out. can take up to 20mins per corner

i use option 2 at work but replace beer with pie

It's possible to make them quite cheaply, otherwise I would try a brake place, maybe BNT? Supercheap and repco didn't have them today when I checked. If you want to get a one man bleeder kit, I found the vizibleed one from supercheap far better than the powerbuilt one from repco

^What's this? I have recently replaced my master cylinder, bled brakes twice and pedal is still not firm like it should be. It's strange because sometimes it will firm up and other times it will have a lot of travel.

We do sell vacuum bleeders at reppie, but not in stock, have to be ordered. If you still having issues in a couple of weeks when I'm on uni hols Felixx i'll borrow my mates one and come have a go. I'm sure you'll have it sorted by then tho :)

The powerbuilt one man bleeder kit is a joke, doesnt even have a valve in it :(. The Sykes Pickavant one is much better however, usually does a good job.

^What's this? I have recently replaced my master cylinder, bled brakes twice and pedal is still not firm like it should be. It's strange because sometimes it will firm up and other times it will have a lot of travel.

Sounds more like its out of adjustment. Did you back off the hand brake before you adjusted the brakes (if you done them).

"This" is basically fill the reservoir up then loosen the pipes where they bolt on to the master cylinder and pump the pedal until fluid comes out.

OK carrring on from my brakes issue thread.

How much brakefluid should I need to use to bleed my brakes after replacing my master cylinder?

I put in a NEW master cylinder.

Began to bleed the brakes. Got thru 750ml of brakefluid so far, trying to bleed the inevitable air bubble in the system. I cannot get ANY resistance in the brake pedal.

Doing it all the right way, starting at the left rear, right rear, left front , right front, rubber hose going into a beer bottle with an inch of fluid in it and pumping brakes till no air bubbles visible in the line. Then tightening up the nipple.

What have I missed? Sorry to be such a noob!

PS I took off all four drums and hit the brakes with brake cleaner and there does not appear to be any leaks at the drums.. (I took the drums off today to check)

Don't worry to much Felixx. I'll call round one night and we'll sort it out.

We'll get the wheels off again and have a good look and work from there.

It sounds like you may have some kind of underlying problem.

Your brake pedal won't push the master cylinder pistons right to the end of the bore so you can get a pocket of air stuck in the master cylinder.

You have to bench blead the cylinder to get all the air out.

It sounds like you have air in the system and/or your brakes are not adjusted propperly

What sort of car is it?