4age cold start

griff666

i have a ke36 witha bluetop 4age out of a ae86 in standard motor with 130000km extractors and a pod filter, i have trouble starting it, mostly when its cold ill have to wind over for 20 to thirty secs then it will cough and splutter some black smoke then go fine, i took out the cold start injector and its spraying good as ,the car started mint first turn when it was out but when put it back in had same problem, also i took it to get timed and the mechanic done the timing but said the dizzy isnt advancing and now have less power

Its a real simple circuit from memory, just runs from the second temp sensor in the back of the head, maybe the old sensor has worn out and sending a funny signal, I am only guessing, never looked into it, I also vote run without

Its been awhile since I had a issue with one, but its actually a bi-metallic switch heated by coolant and by a heating coil to give a timed squirt, you should be able to test it with a multi meter pretty easily. ill find the diagram

the swtich in question is at the rear of the head where there is a green 2 pin square plug sensor and brown 2 pin square plug sensor, your after the brown sensor green is temp sensor for the efi/computer, just unplug the cold start injector and see what happens man

its like a choke and the bi-metallic switch controls the time its on, not just while cranking, this can be 10+ sec with 0 degree coolant and 0 sec at 70-80 degrees +. Modern EMS obviously just lengthens the pulse widths of the main injectors to achieve the same thing