Lou's 1981 Mazda B1600 Discussion thread.

lou

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels should be on tomorrow.

Does anyone know somewhere in Rotorua or close by that does speedo calibration?

The gearbox and been changed from column shift 4 to floor change 5 speed.

I'm assuming the teeth on the new box differ from old one as the speedo is showing about 20% more speed.

I'm pretty keen to keep the original cluster, so would rather not change dashes or install aftermarket it possible.

drop your rolling diameter by 20% by going with a lower profile would work for me,

or remove and swap speedo drive gears.

Not keen to go any smaller on the feet. As for swapping the drive gears the idea just occured to me.

The problem there is, this being my first Mazda, I dont really know where to start. I don't even know what sort of gearbox they used in the first place.

Would I find that out and get the matching one? Or swap over to an original 4 speed one? Or is it just trial and error till I find one that works?

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=199675

this thread helps lou, if you pull your drive out and count the teeth then maybe even pop down to a mazda

dealer and order the appropriate new drive to plug in the whole.

i can't see a speedo shop doing anything different.

Awesome link mate. Cheers for that.

Got the wheels on today, just waiting for a gap in the rain so I can take some pictures. :P

Park 1m away from wall/garage door. Wind in screws until all lamps are level, WIN! Like you say though if he's not charging then gravy as, farm that shit out.

I thought they had to be at a certain height :?

Well they do, yeah. Height and angle. Usually a WoF fail is one side/one bulb being on the piss if they're bot on the piss and you don't know which way is gravy then that does make things a little trickier. There is a way of sorting it out though, I would have to look it up but it's something like park car 'x' distance from wall and mark a line on wall 'x' distance up, keep the beams below that line. It's been forever since I had to bother though, some of the older WoF guys still use this method as they don't have those gay headlamp angle devices.