roll cages ?

so the time has come to finally cage my car currently shopping round for a price dont really want to spend much over 1500 for a 6 point with side bars and maybe 2 small extra members . or if anyone is a certed welder and wants to put a cage kit together (needs notching and cutting to fit ) so if you can give me a few names of companies to try or want to have a crack at putting one together give me a pm

Chris Smith recomended this guy;

Hey Russel check this out.. the guy just got it back from them in the very recent past..
Work was done by Tim Lloyd (Timo) at Octane Automotive in Palmy. Base cost for cage is $1650+GST but depending on what you want i.e. through to strut towers etc. it can go up from there. Its the best cage I have seen for the money, and they handle all the paper work too.

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

Shaz old man recommended that place macbuild? in the hutt, Similar name but different

That place in Grenada is good they can manage 3 day turn around.

Apparently there is a place is wainui and kapiti too

UJ also has a friend who does them

I just ordered a weld in cage kit from Racecraft Engineering in Christchurch. At $516.00 for a basic 6 point cage incl gst and freight to Hamilton, it's quite good value if you have someone who can notch the tubes and weld it in. The good thing about this is that its bent by RCE who has done over 2500 cages in the last 30 years and so you know it will meet the MSNZ regulations, provided it is welded correctly. You can also add as much to it as you want cheaply, as most of the other steel members will be short lengths and easy to add.

I'm hoping to do a cage building thread once the cage is completed to show how difficult/easy it is, but this won't be for another 2-3 months at best.

edit: puglet looks awesome kk, keen to be kept in the loop with progress on that if you can. Very similar build to my Vectra and probably a similar timeframe. He'll end up with a little bit more power and a little bit less weight than me though :evil::)

If you want to get a pre-bent kit installed, any cage fitter will do it for you.

Paddy and Mag and Turbo PN gave me a decent price to do the notching, fitting and welding of a kit but I can't remember how much it was now :woops: . He does a nice job at reasonable coin - can get pics if you want.

yea ive fired off a few emails places seem to vary in price by alot have seen timos work in a mates car the place in grenada is known to be quite expensive and there cages from what ive seen are at the same level as timos

the place in wainui is rolly polly cages and he wanted about 1800 for a 6 point with side bars and a extra member here and there

ben at the slipway said he would do me one up for 1500 for the same as what i wanted from the others

i believe the place in kapiti is frost motorsport and im waiting to hear back from him

was only a year ago i could get one done for 1250

What sort of design (from that race regs book) are you looking at getting made?

standard 6 point cage with criss cross side bars, belt bar and a extra brace ether side that goes diagonally between the front legs and the main hoop may also get a gusset put in to the b pillar that bolts to the factory 3 point belt mount

Oh Good stuff! sounds like you have done some good research. you could maybe try ask them if they will do a happy deal on two cages? keen to get rundown on all responses you receive.

will see what i can do have been putting off getting a cage for a few years so i have talked to quite a few people about designs and people to see going to try hunt down hayden from what was import enhancements he seems do have gone below the radar aparently he was sick of pricing so much stuff then never getting the work done

77106705.png

Need to get advice of Aidan when hes back this weekend, as he had some ideas, but was thinking something like this, possably stupidly expensive/overkill?

Was always keen in double horiz bars at the door, as having the double triangle means at the centre your bar strength for side impact is only as good as one bar at the sentre but it would mean you loose allot of triangulation for 8 point.

Also not sure if the turret-main hoop bar should be a small fillet at the corner or big triangle?

No such thing as overkill on a rollcage in my opinion. I've seen the aftermath of a skyline hitting a tree at about 180kph with a good cage, both driver and co-driver where just bruised...

I can't understand going for a "min" spec cage, it's your safety. My cage is good, and there are still a bar or two i would like to add to it and it was suppose to b a 6 grand cage (chrome-molly) when the originally owner put the cage in.

not nesisarraly going for the cheapest cage i can get i just cant justify for the level ill be doing going all out and spending the cars worth on a fully gusseted cage with extra members all over the place and im semi limited with how many extra bars i get in the back as the bolts for the rear shocks and where the parcel tray is

It's always an interesting thing when people say for the level i'll be doing... (BTW i'm not commenting on your cage, just people who go for the cheapest "min" spec cage as your cage isn't from what it sounds)

The Clubman level events i've been doing - so the lowest form of Motorsport in NZ - on hillclimb and bent sprint events we see speeds of 160kph - 180kph the more powerful cars will easily see higher than that (i've only got 130hp). I don't see how thats any different to a "National" level event like Targa who use the same roads a lot of the time.

Some of the cages you see in the cars at the events are just scary.