ive solved one problem and hit another problem

psapis

well lets put it this way nope i ant positive i know how to replace points. I thought i would take them out and make sure i put them back in the same way i took them out. My other half has tryed different openings with the gap in the points im pretty sure i hooked everything up the same way i found it in. Dont worry he has already given me a blowing up about touching them 2. He cant understand why he isnt getting any spark from the points. well we gona try replacing the earth wire and see what happens.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

turn the ign off

take the cap off

pull the rotor out

turn your multimeter to continuity check beeeper

put one probe on the battery negitive post

put the other on the coil negitive post

open and close the points with your finger, toe, or tounge.

if it doesnt stop beeping report back here and say "it diddnt stop beeping!"

if it beeps and stops congratulations you can continue to the next step.

next, turn the ignition ON

turn your meter to 12V DC test mode.

put one probe on the negitive battery post, the other on the postive coil post

if everything is ok your meter will read 6 volts (or 12 volts)

if it doesnt, report back here and say "it doesnt have power at the coil in the ON key position"

if it does, continue to the next step.

leave the multimeter probes where they are, and watch the meter as you crank the engine over,

if it reads zero, report back here that "i dont have power at the coil when cranking my engine"

if it reads 6 or 12 volts, continue to the next step.

now, buy a dwell meter.

take your spark plugs out, (label where your leads go first!)

now with a socket ratchet thing turn the motor over by hand, watch what the points are doing,

set the point so it just baaarreeely opens at the "high parts" of the thingy that pushes it.

put your plugs and leads back in gently (if you drop them or anything, report back here!!)

now connect your new dwell meters black lead to the coil negitive post, and the red lead to the positive coil post, re assemble your distributator, now crank your motor and look at the dwell meter, keep adjusting the points and ressabling your distributer untill you get 50 degrees of dwell,

dont rush you have allll day!!!!!!

congratulations your ignition system is now working correctly and your point gap is set correctly.

dont touch it again!! report back here when you are done!!!!!!

but wait...your car still wont start?

we now need to do 2 things, 1, check your leads are in the right order, check condition of leads and plugs, and 2, you will need to set your ignition with a timing light now too, but we will cover that once you have reached here.

enjoy your evening!!! dont rush!!

sweet thanks for the advice guys. Ill go grab it tomorrow aye. Aslo i got my uncle to have a look at it today after work he tryed hot wiring it straight from the coil to the battery and it still had no spark. So he rekns i will have to go and get a new coil hes going to sus it out tommorrow as well. So hopefully it will be running tomorrow aye.

hi all solved the problem. My dad came out and guess what. The so called wire i broke then tryed to pull threw when i was changing the points. Yea well that was bugged hahahaha. So the black wire in the picture of the points well thats the bugger that stopped the spark. Yeppy my cars going cheers everyone.