Non oldschool question about brakes possibly

Josh

I have a 2003 Holden crewman ute. Basically since I have had it there is like a metallic screeching sound which sounds like its coming from the front right wheel. I just went out before in it and it was screeching horribly loud constantly for around 5 minutes then went away. It has been on and off for a couple of days, I noticed particularly when turning left the noise seems to increase?

I was thinking it may be worn brake pads, but would they still screech even when brakes are not applied? Or perhaps a stone in the brakes somewhere, although the sound is coming and going...Could it be a wheel bearing?

Keen to hear your input on what it may be, cheers.

In my limited experience you have ages and ages before the pad friction surface wears through (if it is the wear indicators that are making the noise).

I figure it wouldn't take long to whip off a wheel at take a look (you may be able to see the pad thickness without removing the wheel)

If it is the brake pad indicators you can usually just bend it out a little bit so it stops the sound, without taking the caliper off.

I didn't think it was too common on new cars to have the pin type pads, not up front at least. Its still super awesome when you come across one that does though. 5 min brake pad change ftw.

The brass looking shims in the top and bottom of pads? The top one gets out of shape due to stones and end up scratching on the end of the rotor.

I dunno if any other pads other than genuine come with some to replace them, but you can flatten them with a hammer/cut off the but touching and you'll be happy as.

I can't recall if these have a low level indicator screechy bit.

Merry Christmas.