Road car to race car: The process.

Vintage Grumble

Yeah I talked to him, was a little cagey (ha ha) as he said he didn't do the rollcage stuff and wasn't sure about the old forms/what changes there may have been so I sent the old ones + new ones with the info copied across. in the post now and photos emailed. just have to cross fingers and toes that it's all ok etc.

hope they aren't going to have a shitty about not having my clubsport liscence (was a line on the logbook form) - but I'm not competing yet so I don't see the problem? logbook is for the car not the driver really.

even additions? e.g. tieing in the front strut towers if they weren't originally?

6) Modification of a Homologated Safety Cage / Safety Rollbar

It is possible to perform modifications to a Schedule A ‘homologated’ or Schedule AA ‘approved’ safety

cage or safety rollbar under the following conditions;

• All proposed modifications should be presented to the MSNZ Technical Department for approval

prior to any work commencing.

• Once the proposed modification has been completed an Extension Application Form (Form

T004) shall be completed and submitted to the MSNZ Technical Department for acceptance and

update (re-validation) of the existing homologation.

• An Extension Application is only valid where tube members are added that are not part of the

principal structure. This will include; side intrusion bars, harness mounting bars, reinforcements,

and gussets.

• The existing homologation number will be retained.

• An Extension Application can not be used where any tube members are introduced that form

part of the principle structure. In this case a new application will be required. (As an example;

the addition of two lateral rollbars and a connecting member to a Safety Rollbar will require a

new application. A new homologation number will be issued).

• Any permanent modification to a homologated structure will invalidate the original certification

hence an extension certificate must be issued to re-validate the homologation / approval before

the vehicle can be used in competition.

Mike, we've cleared this up with MSNZ and it will still be legal to extend a pre-homologated 1/2 cage. There were big arguments about it, and they've gone about changing the rules the wrong way.

It doesn't come under an extension but it will be accepted under the previous homologation number.

A guy here at my work races cars in the Super 7's. He has a cage made by [what was SMS Motorsport?] Racecraft Engineering and he's very happy with it. A number of his competitors are building new cars over the summer and have also gone to Racecraft for the roll cage kit.

Racecraft Engineering as a company has been making cages for motorsport use in New Zealand and around the world since 1980. They have a fantastic reputation and have supplied nearly two and a half thousand cages during this time. They make the kits full time now.

I understand that Dave McCahon has some connection with MSNZ (have heard he can homologate cages himself, but haven't had this confirmed) and all cages are built to comply with MSNZ and where applicable, FIA regulations.

As of 1st January 2011 the MSNZ roll cage requirements change, meaning the main hoop now needs to be (I think) 44.5mm rather than 38.1mm as it is currently. This will obviously raise costs a little, but even still RcE's pricing has only gone up to $480.00+gst for a basic 6 point clubman's cage kit.

Additional components can also be ordered, but this can push the price up quite quickly.

So far I've seen two seperate cage builders, one here in Hamilton and another in Auckland who claim to "build there own roll cages" but who actually use these kits as a platform to begin with, and add to it from there, so there must be no question on quality.

Racecraft Engineering is closed for the Christmas break but reopens on the 11th of January, so I will be buying a roll cage kit around this time and will detail both the quality of the kit and the cage build process as I go. It has been quite difficult to find a decent "how to" for cage building in NZ because people seem to either do it wrong, or pay a shop to do it (who does it wrong :P ), so hopefully this will be able to shed a bit of light on the subject for people looking to get into motorsport on a budget.

Yup, I'd agree with all that. They are very reasonably priced and an excellent fit.

Dave is a Technical inspector fot Motorsport NZ, Not entirely sure what that position entails but I know he doesn't actually do the homogulation side of it though. But thats pretty much just taking some photos and filling in a form.

Definitely need to be notched/scalloped yourself, which is good because you want a perfectly flush joint before welding and even 1mm of imperfection where the plate is welded to the body wouldn't allow I don't think. Who ever you use to weld it should be skilled/knowledgeable enough to be able to do a nice job of this side of things.

http://snip.awardspace.com/

even better. a little script that spits out the angles required for notching same size tube together with a saw. Gives yo a wee table for all angles in 5 deg increments

Gonna go give it a nudge. See how i'll get on. I don't have a drop saw unfortunately so i'll be doing the measure carefully cut cut off disc on angle grinder haha