If cam tooth is out by 1 tooth,what is the result?Run'nrough

efp0wa

I do have experience, just not a shitload on old carb motors. I hate carburettors. Done a fair bit of work on L20ETs, RB20DETs, B16As, B18CRs.

I got it running a bit better, I set timing at 8degree with a light. Is that BTDC? Still ran rather crap. Forgot to pull the vacuum advance off at first and that didnt help.

I turned her off, then went to start again and it wouldnt start. I cranked it for about 15 seconds which was a bad idea, next thing I hear a PUFF and the starter had died. Lucky I found a spare at home about 5 mins ago.

I will set tappets 2mrw and give it another shot.

What does the ballast resistor have to do with the starter?

The ballast resistor is bypassed on the start position of the key - when you release the key to run the car will instantly die if the ballast is missed out of the circuit.

If the car ran (albeit shit) without it then you have wired it for a non ballast coil - check if the coil that has 3 ohm's resistance on the low tension circuit.

Sorry I would like to solve this for you easily but it is very hard over the internet. But I would still be doing this..

Set the tappets

Set the timing at 8deg BTDC

Set the idle

What does the ballast resistor have to do with the starter?

The ballast resistor is bypassed on the start position of the key - when you release the key to run the car will instantly die if the ballast is missed out of the circuit.

If the car ran (albeit shit) without it then you have wired it for a non ballast coil - check if the coil that has 3 ohm's resistance on the low tension circuit.

Sorry I would like to solve this for you easily but it is very hard over the internet. But I would still be doing this..

Set the tappets

Set the timing at 8deg BTDC

Set the idle

I don't know what I was on about with the ballast. Ignore that please.

I will set the tappets after work (it's been 5 years since I was trained how to do this...) but I'll sort it :-)

Totaly understand it is a mission to solve over the internet, but really appreciate everybodies help.

Replace starter, set tappets.

While motor was at TDC on #1 I pulled the dizzy cap off and noticed rotor wasn't at #1 but more so #2 and a half. Pulled dizzy out and put it back with the rotor on #1.

Turned key, motor fired up instantly and idled at 850rpm!

Mint!! Put timing light on and set to 8deg btdc.

How do I set air/fuel mixture without gas analyzer?

they way ive done it which is a bit rough but a starting point is wind out the mixture screw till it stumbles then wind in counting turns till it stumbles again ..set in the middle . its no perfect way but like i siad a starting point