White smoke, but compression is fine?

coldturkey

Picked up a Vannette for $200 with A15 engine, the guy reckoned it had a knock but it went away.

The only problem I can see with it is it blows a lot of white smoke, when you give it some juice and a little bit when its just idling.

Compression tested fine on all cylinders (125-133 psi).

Is the white smoke possibly due to overfueling? May also explain the knock? its done pretty high Kms (>260,000km). I thought too much fuel generally meant black smoke.

wut

does it do it all the time?

use any water? (compression test would kinda rule that out...)

use heeeaps of oil?

we had a subaru brumby for a while. hydrauliced it in a river. after that it smoked white likea boss. still had mega compressions and balls. jsut smoked white and detonation primetime (would hold throttle wide open and switch key off..engine would run on it's own oil for a good few minutes)

when pulled down it had a smashed to pieces oil control ring.

wut

does it do it all the time?

use any water? (compression test would kinda rule that out...)

use heeeaps of oil?

we had a subaru brumby for a while. hydrauliced it in a river. after that it smoked white likea boss. still had mega compressions and balls. jsut smoked white and detonation primetime (would hold throttle wide open and switch key off..engine would run on it's own oil for a good few minutes)

when pulled down it had a smashed to pieces oil control ring.

Haven't really driven it much, but when I have it seems to do it all the time.

Compression test was fine, so unlikely it is water.

Not sure about oil, like I said haven't driven it much. It does have a WOF so might have to roll in it for a while. Maybe I can try run some fuel treatment through? It has a sweet 'sitting under a tree' paint job!

I once had an engine that blew the headgasket between a water gallery and one of the cylinders. For the first 5-10 minutes after starting up it would be fine, but then once it got up to temp (presumably after the thermostat opened) it woudl start blowing gigantic clouds of white smoke on load, and small puffs at idle - once coolant started making its way from the water gallery into the cylinder :bounce:

compression test on that particular engine appeared fine as well. (Never trust trademe engines in "mint" condition!)

but yeah, just throwing it out there as a possibility; would prob be mega obvious if the car is chewing through coolant.

I once had an engine that blew the headgasket between a water gallery and one of the cylinders. For the first 5-10 minutes after starting up it would be fine, but then once it got up to temp (presumably after the thermostat opened) it woudl start blowing gigantic clouds of white smoke on load, and small puffs at idle - once coolant started making its way from the water gallery into the cylinder :bounce:

compression test on that particular engine appeared fine as well. (Never trust trademe engines in "mint" condition!)

but yeah, just throwing it out there as a possibility; would prob be mega obvious if the car is chewing through coolant.

if you had that issue you should notice your water going down all the time

valve guide seals or a brake booster full of brake fluid would be my guess,

it happens vacuum leak on booster couple with leak on the masters rear seal.

or could just be your engine is coked to shit,

also is there any blowby when its running with the oil cap off(good indication that valve guide seals are gone)

Ran it for about an hour today, water definately did not go down.

Also backed the fuel right off, but all it does is run really rough.

Oil also didn't appear to move at all on the dipstip (still exactly on H level)

Couldn't spot brake booster, being a van it may not have one? Disconnected air intake hose and the oil breather, no change. Couldn't spot anything else that would be making its way into engine.

On idle its not really smokey at all, when you put your foot down you get a big cloud. Looking at it today it looked kinda more blue, which would be oil, but like I said, didn't seem to use oil today.

I'll check it for blowby tommorrow, should just be able to tell if it comes out of the breather right? But wouldn't this have shown up on the compression test

Ok disconnected vaccum hose from booster and plugged it up. Left it running for 30 mins, still smokey as hell.

Checked for signs of blowby. There is a bit of air blowing out of the breather tube, if I block it up then it starts to suck instead of blow.

Then when I unblock it goes back to blowing air out again. It doesn't blow air much, but it is definately pushing air out. Does this sound normal?

There really is a buttload of smoke if I rev it, its pretty bad. Its not real white and its not real blue, but there is definately a tinge of blue to it.

unless your compression ratio is something like 6.5-7:1 125-131psi is quite low. My 7.6:1 engine has a compression reading of 155-160psi and it was 30 years old.

All the compression reading means is that your compression rings are holding up, but your oil control rings can still be at fault.

I thought you multiply the figure by 14.7 to get psi.

8.5 * 14.7 = 125psi

There's more to it including valve timing duration and overlap. If I had 125psi from my 7.6:1 CR engine I would be disappointed because it should be in reality around 155-160psi. Your A15 should have more than 7.6:1 CR surely.