NZDMAE86's AE101 Track Rapist.

Vintage Grumble

Got a slightly crashed AE101 Trueno Sprinter off TM, damage is fairly minimal, got it for $450, which I dont think is toooo bad. To rebuild I will need LH gaurd/bonnet/radiator support panel. (If anyone knows of someone wanting to get rid of said parts im keen) Have already got the head light for $35 off trademe, bumper is saveable, and luckly the impact was above the chassis rail, so car seems to be pretty straight, couldnt find any cracks or wrinkles around strut tower and so on. Its fairly standard apart from homo spec muffler, and king springs. Plan is to rebuild it cheaply and get it legal, so me and the wife can use it for track days/dual sprints/motokhana's and the like, will one day end up a full on track car when funds allow.

... I'm interested....

FWD will be good for learning to left foot brake :P .

I'd like to, but i'd have to move the seat back close to a foot, kinda to tall, legs end up on mean angles, meaning I cant twist them round enuf to do it properly.

Yeh, im looking foward to having a FWD understeer party on the track!

They can be setup neutral no problem! don't lower it lots without fixing the roll centers or it will be a dog!

I had a 101 trueno about 8 years ago, and all it had suspension wise was dobi springs, handled really well, and interestingly when pushed it oversteerd. Will be intersting to see what this ones like on the track.

Had a quick look at this on the weekend, pulled off a few bits to get a good look at the damage, im starting to think I wont even have to replace the radiator support, as I dont think it counts as structural? Will just need to take to car with a slide hammer and give it the bash with hammers/dollies. Anyone know of a manual for these that has all the point to point measurments?

Some pic's,

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

Have started making a pile of crap I dont need for a WOF/making car lighter, like the air con/side skirts/carpet/boot liners and so on. Am happy the radiator is fine, and none of the wiring got mashed. It wouldnt jump start when I went to look at it, must have been a combo of shit leads and a dead battery. Slapped another battery in it, and jumped it with good leads, fired up first pop, motor sounds sweet, makes bugger all silver top pulley noise, which is nice, as they can sound like diesels. Will go visit the local wrecker and see what panels I can get soon. Only other thing I need to do really is new CV boots all round. Dude I got it off spent $600 on WOF items 3 days before he stacked it, so shouldnt need much else for legalness.

Think I know a dude who has one of these lying in a paddock that has spare bonnet, guard etc?

If you happen to see/talk to him, could you hit him up for me? they dont have to be mint. Chur.

The chassis rail looks straight, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Don't worry about getting factory measurements. Straighten it up and measure from corner to corner on a diagonal - when they're the same it will be straight.

Yeh, chassis is def OK, didnt get touched. And that is true about measurements, also it doesn't need to be perfect, aslong as it fits back togeather/gets WOF.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a go at this the other day, got my 2.8L turbo diesel panel straightener, and chained it to the front, gave it a yank here and there and got most of it pretty straight, only thing that went wrong (apart from snapping a G-clamp and several chains) was at one point the chain sort of ripped through the steel I was pulling on, but should be able to weld it together/patch it up. And the chain flung back and put a tiny hole in the radiator, which is being fixed at the mo, only $40 to fix, so not to bad.

Also picked up a gaurd & bonnet from local wrecker for $80, they are a bit ratty, but will most likely get rattier any ways. And my $35 light showed up also. So far this has cost me $605, and once put back together should get a WOF (Dude put in a new drivers side seatbelt/front engine mount/front brake pads/two tires/new sway bar link, just before he crashed it to get a WOF) Should be a bit of fun relatively cheaply.

• 3 months later...

I've been doing a bit on this now and then, and its pretty close to being road legal again. Got it all straightened out, welded, painted, fitted the budget bonnet and guard, plastic welded the fuse/relay boxes back together, and de rooted the rooted items. Last thing I have to do is make brackets for the head light.

DSC01387.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01386.jpg

I managed to fix the bumper iron, and stitch the bumper back together. There was an exhaust hole in the bumper from the car it ran into, so I cut that out and will use it as an air inlet to pipe air into the air box.

DSC01385.jpg

The interior has been stripped of everything, except the items needed for a WOF. I've removed about 60kgs from the car so far, and the under seal comes off pretty easily, so will remove all that at some point, should be a good 15+ kgs there.

DSC01390.jpg

Got these rally spec/fugly wheels off Spencer a while ago, they will be my gravel rims, and the below 90's beauties will be my track/motorkhana rims. I also stickered the shit out of the fuel flap, all the kool kids are doing it these days dont you know ....

DSC01389.jpg

DSC01394.jpg

I rebuilt the drive shafts and put new boots on them. Who's the black private dick, that's a sex machine to all the chicks? Shaft! Ya, damn right. Who is the man that would risk his neck, for his brother man? Shaft! Can you dig it? Who's the cat that won't cop out, when there's danger all about? Shaft! Right on! They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother, SHUT YOUR MOUTH! I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft. THEN WE CAN DIG IT! He's a complicated man, but no one understands him but his woman. Drive shaft. One of the biggest cunts has been the power steering tensioner bracket, I removed the air con, and then found a belt the rite size, but had to cut the shit out of the bracket, and then fit it up side down for it to work. I also machined down the tensioner pulley to suit.

DSC01393.jpg

DSC01392.jpg

Just waiting on a wheel to come back from powder coating, then will fit tires and go for a wof. Have a track day I want to use it in in about 3 weeks, then a cat and mouse race thing on a clay oval a few weeks after that, will be interesting to see how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update on this, went to a track day, went really well for a basically standard car on budget tires, and had no problems all day, so well pleased with it really.

Then me and the other half went to Waihi beach for an autocross, was a bit of fun, but the wife got a bit brave and went into hardcore mode,

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01489.jpg

DSC01490.jpg

DSC01491.jpg

DSC01492.jpg

I sorta missed the impact, but it was fairly decent, its worse than it looks,

DSC01529.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01535.jpg

Theres a bit of a kink in the chassis rail, and the front cross member and engine cross member have both moved, so may be a fair bit of work to sort it out, but luckly the radiator poped out of its mounts and was ok, so I drove it home from Waihi to Whakatane like this.

I also purchased these off TM,

DSC01536.jpg

They aint pretty, but they are magnesium so pretty light. Will slap some semi slicks I have on them. HUGE thanks to Cam for picking them up, and to Gaz and his uncle for hauling them up here from welly for me, you guys are fair dinkum bloody rippers!