Restoring old wheels - How to best paint?

no_8wire

Im currently trying to get my new wheels I have bought looking a little better than this

138655120_full.jpg

This is what they currently look like, but the centers have two layers of paint. How would be the best way to get the paint off? Paint stripper, sand blasting or acid dipping?

DSCF4005-1.jpg

Acid dipping all the way man.

Won't touch the alloy what so ever and the paint will wash off with the hose.

I'v restored a couple of sets of wheels and out of sand blasting, bead blasting and acid dipping I'll never use the media blasters again.

Although bead blaster was pretty good for giving a roughish but not harsh finish to a surface you want to paint. Paint sticks better.

Here is a guide on how to polish up the lips:

http://coupekiwi.wordpress.com/2010/05/ ... ing-guide/

i've done a set of rims like that,

i used paint stripper and a small brass wire brush and some brass cup brushes on a drill,

a little trick is to lay some thick plastic on the inside of the wheel,

brush the stripper over the spokes then put a layer of plastic over

the stripper on the front,

it stops the stripper drying out too quickly and really cooks the paint off,

roughly brush the loose paint off ,

polish with the cup brushes on the drill

and repeat for hard to get areas

I know you guys are keen on DIY'ing this but since paying someone to acid dip the wheels has been mentioned, I will just say that Elite Wheel Co in chch polished up my work equip 01's to virtually a mirror-finish, and painted the parts that needed painting black for $50 a wheel.

Sure the backs of the wheels are still all dull/covered in brake dust and road muck, but there's no way I'd have ever have gotten the viewable side of the wheels that mint just with hand-polishing.

If acid dipping costs more than that or roughly the same, then I'd just opt for the polish n' paint option from elite/local wheel shop. The dip would still leave you with dull-looking alloy (albeit nice and clean), right?

If acid dipping costs more than that or roughly the same, then I'd just opt for the polish n' paint option from elite/local wheel shop. The dip would still leave you with dull-looking alloy (albeit nice and clean), right?

Thats a great price alright. Would definitely be worth it if you are local to Elite.

Acid dipping is purely just to clean the wheels, prior to prep, so you would still need to polish the lips, then etch prime and paint the centres, if thats what you were intending to do.

Acid dipping should be much cheaper than $50 a wheel though, its just literally a dip in acid so I wouldn't expect to pay more than $25 a wheel maximum and thats really just a handling charge for the labour involved.

And yes, to do this you need to take the tyres off :lol: For just cleaning them up as Jase did and polishing/painting you don't need to remove tyres though, so probably the better option if you have tyres on there already.

The last set of wheels I did I just bought a good quality etch primer and then used one of those colour match cans of laquer from supercheap or repco. Its a very hard paint and seems very durable. I'd definitely do this over buying a tin of pain because of the effort involved for minimal gain and by the time to get all the gear setup, compressor, gun etc, a tin of paint, thinners, its much cheaper to just by a can and be done with it.

Haha yes i did expect to have to remove the tires but it hadn't been asked before so i thought why not ask :P

Im getting 2 sets of 3 rims (same style) so i'll need to mix and match the best rims so tires are coming off anyway.

just after personal opinion i have a set of Advanti Racingstar (i think, see avatar anyway) and they are quite a modern rim but i think they suit my car very well, im wondering what it would look like if i got the lip polished and the spokes painted the same dark bronzy colour?

and would Elite be able to do this.

Best/only right answer to that question will be given to you by Elite wheels when you take a wheel in and ask them :wink:

Hard to see from the pic, but IMO not sure it would look any good. my2c

$50/wheel for a polish/paint sounds sweet, will have to keep them in mind incase I cbf polishing mine with my polisher :lol: