Weird problem - cant jump start my 4age

oldrx

The car has been sitting for a month or so - batt flat.

Tried to jump start it today and it will crank for a few seconds before going flat again, this is connected to a known good battery in a running car.

If i turn the key again immediately its flat as - just starter motor tick noise. But if i leave it for a few mins still connected to good battery it will crank again for a few seconds and go flat again.

WTF?!??!?!?

Oh and when i was driving it everyday, sometimes when i turn the key it nothing would happen, second turn it would start fine. This rarely happened though. Wondering if two probs are related?

Any ideas??

Run the POSTIVE jump lead from + on Good Car to + on Flat Car

Run the NEGATIVE jump lead from - on Good Car to a solid earth on the Flat Car, NOT TO THE BATTERY. Things like engine lift points and mounts are generally fine, at a pinch, the strut top bolts or the bonnet latch mount.

Oh, and the nothing sometimes and perfectly fine the next sounds like an Ignition issue. My C110 used to do it, it was the switch behind the ignition barrel, I replaced it and it was poifekt.

Ive had batteries go dead sitting for bugger all, especially if they get completely drained. Also Ive had issues with shit jumper leads, and bad connections to the battery terminals causing similar stuff. Put the battery on a charger over night and see how it behaves after that

spence mention shit jump leads.. apparently fucked connections can test up fine but turn to shit when you suck big current through them

maybe you were getting a bit of a charge from the good battery then immediately draining it and recieving no juice from other battery on cranking

but yeah battery/earths/connections will be a good place to start

Oh and when i was driving it everyday, sometimes when i turn the key it nothing would happen, second turn it would start fine. This rarely happened though.

Any ideas??

a common problem with toyota starters is the contacts in the starter get worn and starter plays up, tis a piece of cake to fix.

Im starting to think it might be the jumper leads - they're pretty thin shitty ones.

I got a good earth in flat car and that gave it a bit more cranking power but still same problem.

All connections were cleaned thouroughly before i tried starting it yesterday - they were a bit corroded.

Off to buy new leads now...

disconnect the battyer in the dead car, and the good car, and use the jumper leads to connect the good battery to the dead car, if it doesnt start you know its something else.

trying to jump through a dead battery is like beating a dead horse... it may be fun to start with but gets old pretty quick.

Got new leads and it cranked like a muthafuka and got it started. Thanks for the help would never have thought it might be just the leads!

disconnect the battyer in the dead car, and the good car, and use the jumper leads to connect the good battery to the dead car, if it doesnt start you know its something else.

trying to jump through a dead battery is like beating a dead horse... it may be fun to start with but gets old pretty quick.

Will keep this in mind for future car dramas - i dont know why i bother sometimes.