Orions leaky A-dub eleven

spanners

Ha my T-Top one leaked so bad. Water would pool up and then you would catch like a litre at once. Did you price up new seals for them? I did years ago and it was SOOOO expensive. Cant remember how much but gave me a heart attack.

Your one looks kinda straight, seems like a good buy

yeah I priced up new seals ex Toyota, wasn't as bad as I was expecting at ~$130 per side (helps when you have a mate who works in parts). The problem usually isn't the body seals though, it's the rubber bit on the actual t-tops themselves that shrink and start causing all sorts of grief, and those are NLA from Toyota as of something like 15 years ago :(

about the only thing you can do in that situation (apart from use sealant) is buy another complete t-top and hope it seals better than your current one!

Was surprised that quite a lot of parts are still available ex Toyota though. Brand new facelift front lip? Yes. Factory decals? Yes. Genuine supercharger oil? Yes. Even that little sticker on the intercooler shroud (which says INTERCOOLER) is available overnight :)

that LSD was a pure dumb luck score on my part. Seller never even mentioned it, and I only found out for sure one night not long after taking ownership with the car up on stands cursing yet another SC belt snappage. My mate happened to idly spin one rear wheel and noticed the other turning the same way. huzzah! Dunno what they are worth but I'd probably end up transplanting it over to my next AW11 if they are as uncommon as folks say they are.

in fact with all the cool extra stuff on the car I was quite stoked that I paid what I did. Leakytop was a small sacrifice to make.

ed how much was that front lip if you can remember?

cant plastic wed them as they are a form of rubber beleive it or not

man those seals have come down alot, prices them up two years ago and they where well into the $400 mark

but so tidy mate, its choice with those wheels too, set it right off

have to do a engine transplant on my brothers aw11 in the coming weekend so if you need any engine parts let me know

Yeah, six whips. One of them is a track car though, which doesn't see as much use as I'd like :|

$480 for the front bumper iron sounds about right Simon. trade was somewhere between $200 and $300 (I forget exactly).

yeah Kbox and twosrus sell the genuine t-top seals nowadays, which has brought the local Toyota prices down by heaps.

I have a spare facelift front lip but it's almost as rough as the current one on the car, haha. often see the snobs on the MR2OC forums lamenting about how their front lips are all banged up and how they would murder babies for new ones. always have a quiet chortle to myself and think if they bothered to do some research they would soon discover the glory of brand new ones :lol: (no offence intended to any OC members present!)

Jarred your bro wouldn't happen to have a spare SC relay would he? The one on my car is a bit temperamental and sometimes doesn't engage the SC clutch in a timely manner, which results in a massive jerk almost like a gigantic misfire.

As for how much I paid for this AW11. More than 2, less than 4, very reasonable. I'm still not quite used to the way the LSD behaves with the stock suspension setup... even though my mate drove it around Taupo and said it was fine. the only way to describe it around corners is incredible power understeer followed by a gradual shift towards neutral handling, resisting the urge all the while to lift off :wink:

As for how much I paid for this AW11. More than 2, less than 4, very reasonable. I'm still not quite used to the way the LSD behaves with the stock suspension setup... even though my mate drove it around Taupo and said it was fine. the only way to describe it around corners is incredible power understeer followed by a gradual shift towards neutral handling, resisting the urge all the while to lift off :wink:

Cool, we are looking at spending around 3k for her one I think. (by her one, I mean the one I will take up coronet road everynight after work for rapetime).

When I have driven Adubs in the past (only driven a few of them) I found that you really had to shift the weight to the front to avoid that understeer you talk about. Braking late and really flicking the front in. If you can get used to getting the weight up there I'd say that if you are on the power at the right time that back should follow around nicely, with or without and LSD. Is it clutch type or viscous? If it's viscous then i would think it's only really going to have an effect when accelerating hard out of a corner? I'm talking shit. I don't think I explained that very well...

Anyway, love the car.

Jarred your bro wouldn't happen to have a spare SC relay would he? The one on my car is a bit temperamental and sometimes doesn't engage the SC clutch in a timely manner, which results in a massive jerk almost like a gigantic misfire

i may have one from my ae101 gtz days, but will get turenotch/simon to talk to our mate ben, he would most likely to have one, hes abit of a horder our ben is

stand by

lex, 'tis a clutch type TRD one. kinda wonder how tight it is actually, may find that it needs shimming.

I wouldn't spend more than 4.5k here for a tidy manual SC (hardtop), unfortunately these days people ask way too much for ones that are quite honestly junk, or worse, automatic (check trademe to see what I mean). But in saying that, I'm prepared to spend a lot more than that to bring one over from japan myself.

The guy I bought mine off was really honest and pleasant to deal with (did I mention he was a cop?) but during the time I spent shopping around I got a rather bad vibe from a lot of the other jokers selling these things, they all seemed too full of themselves and eager to conceal their vehicles' flaws behind a wall of "I am an enthusiast. I do not consider this patch of rust to be a concern." or worse still "I paid $1200 for these bags which my t-tops store in, and I spent $750 fixing this dent that my wife put into the side of the guard, my asking price on the car reflects this."

Stuff giving them any of my money.

Jarred your bro wouldn't happen to have a spare SC relay would he? The one on my car is a bit temperamental and sometimes doesn't engage the SC clutch in a timely manner, which results in a massive jerk almost like a gigantic misfire

i may have one from my ae101 gtz days, but will get turenotch/simon to talk to our mate ben, he would most likely to have one, hes abit of a horder our ben is

stand by

Awesome, cheers boe.

also getting Dave to find out a price on the front lip assembly (because I'm curious again). Part nos. 76081A and 76083A as per this pic

i5krrano.png

lex, 'tis a clutch type TRD one. kinda wonder how tight it is actually, may find that it needs shimming.

I wouldn't spend more than 4.5k here for a tidy manual SC (hardtop), unfortunately these days people ask way too much for ones that are quite honestly junk, or worse, automatic (check trademe to see what I mean). But in saying that, I'm prepared to spend a lot more than that to bring one over from japan myself.

The guy I bought mine off was really honest and pleasant to deal with (did I mention he was a cop?) but during the time I spent shopping around I got a rather bad vibe from a lot of the other jokers selling these things, they all seemed too full of themselves and eager to conceal their vehicles' flaws behind a wall of "I am an enthusiast. I do not consider this patch of rust to be a concern." or worse still "I paid $1200 for these bags which my t-tops store in, and I spent $750 fixing this dent that my wife put into the side of the guard, my asking price on the car reflects this."

Yeah I know the one on TM you're referring to. Would pay a bit for it if it were manual, but fuck getting an auto one. Agree that they are the kind of car that attracts those weird "it's worth moonbeams" sellers. Will just be patient and keep looking for the right one. Not in a rush. TRD LSD's in these must be pretty rare...