Shock absorber questions

shavenYak

I was thinking of getting some replacement shocks for the front of the hiace from work - they're off an isuzu ute, and theyre the right dimensions lengthwise. The lower end mounts differently though, the isuzu shocks have a normal eye bush, and the hiace has a bush with a bar through with a bolt hole on each end.

I assume the bushes can just be pressed out and replaced - Do you buy bushes with the bar already moulded into it? And where would be best to go to / how much should I expect to pay?

I have Hilux shocks in the front of my Gemini there 75mm shorter so were perfect for me. I just belted the first bar out with a hammer and sat the shock a a piece of pipe about 50mm long second one I actually cut the squashed bit off because I had to belt it quite hard. It just poped out after that I put standard urethane eye type bushes back in.

I have Hilux shocks in the front of my Gemini there 75mm shorter so were perfect for me. I just belted the first bar out with a hammer and sat the shock a a piece of pipe about 50mm long second one I actually cut the squashed bit off because I had to belt it quite hard. It just poped out after that I put standard urethane eye type bushes back in.

That's what I would have tried/done.

• 2 weeks later...
should be straight forward man, go see Ian and Autolign in carbine rd, Mt Welly. wont be dear. He gave me bushes for free when i had some shocks shortened.

otherwise ADL but they can take ages

went and saw ian today and unfortunately it's not so straightforward - problem is that the isuzu eye is a parallel wall type, ie the bush edges are straight and slide right in, while the hiace ones are tapered. So the only options were to cut off the eyes and re-weld them on to the other shocks - or buy some sort of adapter bush which were around $100 each.

Oh well. I'll chuck these shocks on trademe I think.

Anyone need a good pair of Isuzu Ute front shocks? Should fit Holden Rodeo as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Push the bar pin out using a vice and appropriate sized sockets/pipe/whatever etc.

If I'm reading right you will need to swap them into the Isuzu shocks to mount to the Hiace?

Then get new bush's to suit the taper of the Isuzu shock and the od of the bar pin.

Autolign do many types of taper bushs in single piece and two piece. In both rubber and urethane.

I used to do it all the time when I was at Autolign. Either Ian didn't click as to what you wanted, or he was having an off/lazy day.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well decided I might as well sell these and get some to suit later.

122972679_full.jpg

Anyway I sold them on trademe to a guy who wanted them for a gemini.

He comes over to collect them and wasn't happy that there was no top bush, washer or nuts. Fair enough I guess, although the photo in the auction showed them as is.

So he demanded $5 off the price - I said sweet as, then when I came back with his change he says that they are way too soft and that they're leaking because they're making a sound.

If gas shocks make a squishing sound when you compress them, does that mean they leak? Are they stuffed? They feel pretty stiff to me - not really stiff, I can pull them back out by hand.

Anyway just want to get my facts straight before I relist them.

No, it just means they have been lying around for a while. The squishy noise is the oil dispersed through the oil going through the valves.

Stand them upright and work them a few times (like you would before you install new shocks) squishyness will go away and they will get firmer.

If they were leaking you'd see oil