Getting the most out of my viva engine?

anhonyb

yeah so i have a 1256cc viva engine there pretty shit is it worth doing anything to it or is it always gonna be piss weak

I can have it bored out to 1300cc, with strengthened conrods and crankshaft from the 2300(magnum vauxhall engine) refaced. Also give it a lumpy camshaft. Polished and ported head with a good plain, new strengthened head gasket, new inlet manifold, with a custom manifold with twin holley 400s, extractors, new distributor and coil, with titanuim valve springs and new valves. All that for about $600 or is that not worth the money for performance?

thanks

edit.. could also get pretty much same thing done for 1800 just a little bit price increase

If you can get all that done for $600 mate I'd say go for it. All the stuff you mention would cost far more than that, especially putting in the crank and conrods from a 2300.. :wink:

As far as tuning a 1256 goes, people have done it in the past and you can get up to around 100hp from a built race engine, however, in this modern age of nice reliable motors making twice that straight out of the box you'd have to ask yourself if its really worth it.

anyone have any idea how much power it would have?

or as i said before theres a 1800 engine on trademe for 40buks i could have the same thing done to for about the same price just a little more

The old saying ya can't beat cubes is even more relevant in a N/A car mate get the 1800 and mod it or throw a Lexus V8 in it like the one here in CHCH.

so according to the rebuilders they can get about 112Kw at the wheels out of it :) not too bad considering it only has 60 odd hp to begin with :?

A 1800 zetec? haha what sort of 1800? i assume you dont mean a slant four? because thats a fuckload of KW's atw you would be happy to get that from a 4AGE.

so according to the rebuilders they can get about 112Kw at the wheels out of it

"about 112Kw" is quite precise

also that much power out of an old nail of an engine for $730 sounds too good to be true.

i smell bullshit. be careful you dont get ripped