any mechanics in chch?

Beaver

hey all.

the girlfriends car is packing a sad. have tried fixing it but i dont know enough about efi systems and ecus lol.

its a 1994 libero, 1800 and has a surging idle. gotten to the point where she just wants its fixed.

so yeh, anyone on here a mechanic and can do mate rates? haha

cheers

try getting some contact cleaner and giving the airflow meter a clean. also check the coils and plugs are not stuffed. maybe check the oxygen sensor to.

ive had a good fiddle/nosey, but im stumped. when i unplug this thing (see photo) it stops surging but idles at like 2000 and i cant adjust it any lower. so i got a second hand one but the exact same thing happens......it attaches to the throttlw body, and kinda hooks onto the butterfly shaft and i assume its the electric idle control but yeh im stumped. figured it must be something deeper in the computer

so in my mind it rules out vacum leaks or air flow meter as surely if it was either of them then it would change when i unplugged that thingy ma bob

libero.jpg

thats a throttle position sensor (TPS).

doubtful that it would be faulty anyway..

ah that makes sense, was only 20 bus for another one so no biggy . so it must be something that gets the info from the TPS and adjusts the idle accordingly thats fucking out. was told it will most likely be the idle stepper motor and fuel (chur bro) sent me some real good links, but the info they gave me doenst quite match up with this engine. there is another big ass thing attatched to the trottle body underneath at the back, which when unplugged has no effect...so yeh im stumped.

Check injectors boss.

I'm no pro but my theory would go like this:

If you put larger/too big injectors in your car it surges.

If you had a blocked, or semi blocked, injector the ECU may be compensating by cranking up the duty cycle causing too much fuel from 3 injectors and just the right amount from the blocked one.

This would in theory cause your surging.

Im' not really sure but could be a place to check? Others will prob tell you if im all shit.

Gaz

Check injectors boss.

I'm no pro but my theory would go like this:

If you put larger/too big injectors in your car it surges.

If you had a blocked, or semi blocked, injector the ECU may be compensating by cranking up the duty cycle causing too much fuel from 3 injectors and just the right amount from the blocked one.

This would in theory cause your surging.

Im' not really sure but could be a place to check? Others will prob tell you if im all shit.

Gaz

hmmm i can see that causing it. its just the whole unplugging the TPS stops it surging, but its worth a look. now that you mention it, i found a bottle of injector cleaner stuff in the boot when i was chucking some sounds in.....ill tell her to chuck it in the tank when she puts gas in

Unplugging the TPS would stop the engine from surging because the ecu would switch to limp home / open loop mode. That usually increases the idle etc. Sounds like you've got an air leak or something, and the increased idle would compensate for that.

doesnt limp mode drastically reduce the power? when its unplugged, apart from the higher idle (around 2000) it drives perfectly normal. ive checked the vac lines from the throttle body and intake mani and am prety sure they are all sweet

its a mitsy, they come standard with reduced power...

to me it does sound like a vac leak

haha fair call. should i be looking else where apart from throttle body and intake mani? also, apart from thorough visual inspection, is there a better way to check for leaks?