Diff hitting bump stops - Lancer EX

Scrubb

I hope someby has some ideas on this..

Just replaced the diff assembly in my EX. Its just the standard one from 1600cc, but Ive noticed now when driving its hitting the bump stops even going over small bumps, but I did have my trolley jack in the boot and one person in the back, but Ive had 3 people in back and towed a trailer with no problems before I replaced it.

When we did all the bolts up we did it with no weight on the diff, but was suggested to me to bolt it up with the cars weight on it but it would stress the bushes ect? I'm not sure thats correct..

Cant really take it out for a drive as it has no WOF atm so I'm looking for any ideas of what I can look at why its hitting the bump stops all the time??? :?:?

Prob completly wrong

Would tightning the 'U' bolts under load somehow change how the leafs bind together inturn changing the spring rate/stiffness?

Think that may of been of 0 help

I think EX lancers have a 4 link or similar setup with coils - no leafs.

was it a 1600 or a 1200 to start with? heavier diff with same springs/shocks = more suspension movement? seems unlikely though. stuffed shocks maybe?

is the car sitting any lower than before you changed the diff? missed out installing spring seats or something?

Prob completly wrong

Would tightning the 'U' bolts under load somehow change how the leafs bind together inturn changing the spring rate/stiffness?

Think that may of been of 0 help

I think EX lancers have a 4 link or similar setup with coils - no leafs.

was it a 1600 or a 1200 to start with? heavier diff with same springs/shocks = more suspension movement? seems unlikely though. stuffed shocks maybe?

is the car sitting any lower than before you changed the diff? missed out installing spring seats or something?

It was a 1600 to start with and I was told it was from a 1600, and I'm pretty sure it is as it seems to run at the same rpm in each gear as it did before..

The car seems to be sitting about the same as before and mechanic told me my shocks are fine. Maybe need new springs? I havent had a good look at it yet cause I dont really know what I'm looking for or what I'm looking at :lol:

Another thing I noticed is that its only banging on the left hand side.. Does this give any clues as to anything I should check?

The only thing I can think of is maybe it was because my jack weighs like 45KG's or something and was sitting right at the end of the boot.. Before I changed the diff I had 5 people in the car towing a trailer and didnt notice any banging noises, but it could have been riding on the stops the whole time lol

Any info or advice is always appreciated :)

not trying to sound like a prick.......but

are you sure its actually the bumpstops? would be worth having a peak under the car wile someone is jumping up and down on it, and source exactly where the noise is coming from....might just be something silly....

woth a shot anyway

not trying to sound like a prick.......but

are you sure its actually the bumpstops? would be worth having a peak under the car wile someone is jumping up and down on it, and source exactly where the noise is coming from....might just be something silly....

woth a shot anyway

Haha yeah we did that and thats how I found out its the bump stop, but only the left hand side..