mikuni

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou!

Quite long intake runners aren't they - thoughts on what would happen just running short trumpets and quads straight off the intake? (Could possibly make that fit before the firewall on mine - the problem would be it'd basically be sucking the air off the firewall)

You lose torque the shorter you go. If you adapt throttles to go straight on to one of those flanges so they stay at a good angle, it will be fine, especially in a light car. You'd want to try and run an airbox that picks up cool air from somewhere though. Picking up hot air at the back of the engine bay will be far from ideal.

As in shift the torque curve to the right (on a plot)?

I have Markku's old ITB setup which did retain the long runners so could just use that/getting ahead of myself as I need to put the engine in the damn hole first, thinking about getting it running on factory ecu first anyway, which means factory air box as they have a MAF sensor in the intake

I might have a FWD beams plenum here, if you'd rather? Pretty good design tbh.

Otherwise I would DEFINITELY retain the Markku engineering curved runners. Keep em as long as possible!

Thankyou!

Quite long intake runners aren't they

Here's some testing that a guy did with a beams motor and different length trumpets:

scan0009.jpg

thoughts on what would happen just running short trumpets and quads straight off the intake? (Could possibly make that fit before the firewall on mine - the problem would be it'd basically be sucking the air off the firewall)

As per the above graph, basically you just lose power all round!

Air feed coming from the high pressure area in front of the front radiator panel thing is ideal.

edit:

Some ranting about the different beams plenums etc here

http://www.mr2.com/forums/beams-owners- ... rison.html

As in shift the torque curve to the right (on a plot)?

Yeah it will certainly move the torque curve up the rev range, but as described in the post above, you'll likely lose torque as well.

Have a read through the thread and any links if you haven't already. It's been a while but I'm sure we covered stuffed relating to helmholts and intake runner length tuning. It could have been in the "ITB" thread though, which was another equally long and drawn out geek thread (that I also miss - it was cool to see this thread title bumped! haha).

Yeah +1, I need to get my head around runner length/helmholtz biz.

I have all the stock gear Roman, plan is/was to put it in as is, and maybe play with itb's and outboard injection for wank/tech factor. But I am sure in a little ee80 the motor will cope rather sweet as is.

Found the ITB thread.. all 10 pages of it :lol:

But yeah, if space will allow I would 100% get the engine in and running on factory gear if you have it all. It just makes it easier to chase faults etc, as with wiring and programming to be done on top of a full conversion, often people end up chasing their tails when trying to trace faults. Drop it in, get it running, then make it faster if you need to (you won't :P). Then built an ST191 with epic engine 8)

You have no build thread for ee80? If it's one of those hatch things it will probably conform with my made up (BS) rules for OSTCC (4 doors, over 4200mm long) and its crappy handling will probably compensate for any weight savings :P

Found the ITB thread.. all 10 pages of it :lol:

<3 that thread too, might have a re-read.

But yeah, if space will allow I would 100% get the engine in and running on factory gear if you have it all. It just makes it easier to chase faults etc, as with wiring and programming to be done on top of a full conversion, often people end up chasing their tails when trying to trace faults. Drop it in, get it running, then make it faster if you need to (you won't :P). Then built an ST191 with epic engine 8)

This man has absolute truth uncontrollably spewing out of every orifice

Yeah +1, I need to get my head around runner length/helmholtz biz.

Hmmm, it's one of those things though... It's nice to know about, but all you really need to know is... longer the better!

You have no build thread for ee80? If it's one of those hatch things it will probably conform with my made up (BS) rules for OS BTCC (4 doors, over 4200mm long) and its crappy handling will probably compensate for any weight savings

This would rule my face with a margin of error +- 0.00001mm

Could temporarily chuck my running gear into a four door beater corona or something for the occasion? :D

Maybe a wagon, because everyone knows the Volvo wagon BTCC car was pretty much the best thing in the universe.

You have no build thread for ee80? If it's one of those hatch things it will probably conform with my made up (BS) rules for OS BTCC (4 doors, over 4200mm long) and its crappy handling will probably compensate for any weight savings

This would rule my face with a margin of error +- 0.00001mm

Could temporarily chuck my running gear into a four door beater corona or something for the occasion? :D

Maybe a wagon, because everyone knows the Volvo wagon BTCC car was pretty much the best thing in the universe.

I really should start a thread so people can blab about their touring car creation that will never be built. Would be great fun! I know mines taken about 4 years to be tracked once, then turned back into an emtpy shell..

/have no idea what you mean about the margin of error

Thankyou!

Quite long intake runners aren't they - thoughts on what would happen just running short trumpets and quads straight off the intake? (Could possibly make that fit before the firewall on mine - the problem would be it'd basically be sucking the air off the firewall)

Why is this a problem, box in + heat sheild and SLR500 cowl induction?

1976SLR5000Torana_resized.jpg