Mitsi Engine Conversion

karmagedon

I've read the old mitsi engine conversion thread and there is nothing on the 4g37 in there.

or even the 1800 4G37, that'd be different and bolt in like a bitch with the right manifolds etc off your 4G32

will this be true aswell for the 4g36? Would it just bolt in using the manifold that i have at the moment?

What about the gearbox? will it bolt up to the 4 speed?

Thanks for any help

Dave

Assuming you want to use the 4G37 (1800cc) with the 4G36 (1200cc) manifolds, is that right?

AFAIK you should be sweet, ports should be more or less the same, possibly bigger on the 37 however. Gearbox also should be sweet. I'm sure Phil/fuel will point out something glaringly wrong though

One question, why?

Assuming you want to use the 4G37 (1800cc) with the 4G36 (1200cc) manifolds, is that right?

yes thats correct.

It would make sense for the 37 ports to be larger than the 36, however they might bolt up??

One question, why?

well the 36 is just too slow all 1200cc of grunt just doesn't cut it. And at the moment I don't want to know a thing about ECI let alone anything else electronic, as my 7 is up to this stage and it's annoying the shit out of me. That leaves only 1 decently sized engine left : the 37.

If that makes sense?

Eliot you're forgetting 4G36 1200 is chain driven while 4G37 is belt driven - and they have different manifolds due to the position of the distributors between the two engines.

You can drop in a 4G37 easy, may have to fit the 4G36 flywheel and clutch to fit in the existing gearbox bellhousing but they have the same crank bolt pattern so no sweat - then find a RWD 4G32 belt driven inlet manifold (EX Lancer, Sigma GL) and use that.

You'ld be better off with a 4G63 in there though, the 4G37 really isn't a powerful motor and feels asthmatic especially up in the revs. It's mostly due to the camshaft profile they have. I guess with a better cam and some headers it will liven up the old 4G37. They're a tough motor too, not alot goes wrong with them.

Are all 4G36's chain driven? I'm 99% sure my old old Lancer was belt driven?

And karmagedon, I meant why the 37 as opposed to a 4G63? They're easier to drop in, no electronics to deal with bar dizzy wiring which is ridiculously easy and a couple of little things. Plus they can be already RWD

[quote name="fuel"

You can drop in a 4G37 easy' date=' may have to fit the 4G36 flywheel and clutch to fit in the existing gearbox bellhousing but they have the same crank bolt pattern so no sweat - then find a RWD 4G32 belt driven inlet manifold (EX Lancer, Sigma GL) and use that.[/quote]

If the Engine that I'm getting has an inlet manifold will that be sweet? or will I still need an EX 4G32 manifold?

What about the exhaust manifolds, are they the same?

And karmagedon, I meant why the 37 as opposed to a 4G63? They're easier to drop in, no electronics to deal with bar dizzy wiring which is ridiculously easy and a couple of little things. Plus they can be already RWD

is that true? I thought that they all came with some sort of EFI system?

wow that above post from me had some messed up quoting.

I guess in the long run that would be a much better upgrade then. With that then it seems I will need to following :

Sigma Xmember

Sigma 4G63

at the same time I suppose I can get the Gearbox and 'Box Xmember??

What about exhaust manifolds.

Will the Sigma's work?

Yeah you'll need the engine and box, and engine crossmember. Try get a throttle cable too, and make sure the box has the mount on it just in case yours is wrong (auto etc fuck knows). Probably worth getting your radiator recored or cleaned out too, and see if you can get the lot from a running car so you can check compression, cos it doesn't sound like you want to have to open it up.

Sigma exhaust manifold will be sweet as for clearance, try getting some of the exhaust and flange after the manifold too to make it easier to fit the rest of the exhaust system

yup, I just ended up with the angle grinder gear lever hole relocation after fucking about with L200 gearboxes and the like... a bit ugly but functional. The 63 conversion is a peice of piss... hell even I managed it lol... the project thread for that car probably went in the delete pile though I suspect

Just try to find an l200 box from a 2 litre 1980's l200 sport, should fit with one, with no mods. I've got one, wasent hard to find. Your car is pretty mint, would be a shame to go angle grindering it i rekon. Still, its your car, and if youve gotta do it to get some 2l awesomeness in there, go for it!

• 3 weeks later...