volod's Pseudo-ZG

kyteler

pre 79 L20e rods are 133mm IIRC?

I just sold my original L20e to someone doing a stroker build.

You should be ok without revinning it,just get it looked over at a nissan dealer,theyll know,fuck the 260 ended build in 77 I think.

Yours must be the entry level Fairlady z,definately not a 260z,but you already know this,lol.

Whats the build number on the plate?

I have a couple of badges you could buy if you want em....original metal ones at that,try finding plastic ones let alone the cast ones.....

The issues with the L28e transplant are you have to use the L20e AFM/ECU and harness

Im having trouble getting it to rev past 6500,and its dropping off in power a little too round the same revs.

Im going to try a new fuel pump,reg and filter,see what that does.

The L20e is ok,but as you say,its a little slow eh

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17312 There you go dude. I'll chuck it in the OP/in my sig.

I'll have some new photos up soon, those ones don't do it justice. Needs moar slamm. As i have a set of ZG flares so i am looking at some 15x8.5 and 15x9.5 Watanabe's in the future. Cost a heap but worth it for a car like this i reckon. Might just make some wide steels for the moment. Not digging the Performance Superlites.

If the L20e rods are 133mm are they 8mm or 9mm? Def keen on a stroker build in future. RB would be cool but something is awesome about cammed out L's.

Yeah it is the ZL model, base model pretty much. People wank on about how rare the clock blanking plate is etc.

Would be very interested in some Fairlady Z badges. It has a Datsun badge on the hatch that pisses me off. You wouldn't happen to have any trim pieces that cover where the arm wrest bolts to the door would you?

Chassis number is S31005360 so i guess it must be relatively early. Previous owner had someone in Japan find its a '76 apparently.

Can you not just use the L28 ecu/loom/afm etc? If thats the case i'll just go to sidedraughts then i think.

Yeah the L20e is an ok cruiser, but you really need to thrash it to get it to move. I should be taking the car to Ruapuna next week for a trackday so we'll see how she goes.

think they are 9mm from memory.

A stokers a fuckin expensive build,but id rahter that than an RB any day.

I do have some chrome plastic trim somewhere.

Yeah the blank plate for the clock is rare,but the clock is even rarer....want one? B)

I swapped mine to the 240kph speedo and shit with the 260z clock.

I had a look and have one metal badge,and one plastic one,with the z missing off the end.

You may be able to go L28e ECU harness and shit,im not sure....might look into that as I have 3 ZX harnesess and 7 ECU's sitting around to try.

Ill try find the door trim for you in the next few days.

Could be keen man. PM me with regards to clock/trim etc.

I would be interested to know how many 2 seater s31's are in NZ, any idea? Have seen one other.

I'm tempted to mod it quite a bit, but unsure of the value of it if it was original. I guess its never going to be worth as much as a s30, so in that regard its probably quite a good car to have a play around with.

Could be keen man. PM me with regards to clock/trim etc.

I would be interested to know how many 2 seater s31's are in NZ, any idea? Have seen one other.

I'm tempted to mod it quite a bit, but unsure of the value of it if it was original. I guess its never going to be worth as much as a s30, so in that regard its probably quite a good car to have a play around with.

I think there would be few S31's around,maybe even less GS31's as they are usually chopped up for frontal parts by the owners of S30 track cars and the like.

I wouldnt go chopping and changing shit too much,modding is fine,but when you go hacking at fittings and shit to mod it,it will detract from the original value to an enthusiast.

The shame is,they are worth more back in japan,but they have to me imported as parts I was told,dont know how true that is.I worked out mine to be worth the equivilent of 13-15G in NZ dollars,thats what I saw one sell for,and it was nowhere near as straight as mine.

Does yours have toe 3 or 5 piece glass front...or the original 5pce alloy one?

The headlight buckets would be easy to make from acrylic,just getting the shape bang on would be the tricky bit.

I also have ZG flares for mine,but need wider wheels to justify whacking em on,then itll need to be lower,then itll need to be faster,then itll need to be a different colour....where do ya stop eh,lol.

At the moment,mine is at a standstill as im thinking of selling it.

You may want to convert yours to the elec dizzy and IG module aswell,makes a big difference so im told...just another thing I have to do also (time,ugh).

So did you lower yours?

What did you go with for the set-up?

Yeah i was looking on Yahoo - cars that looked similar to mine were going for like $25k. I.e. complete and slightly played with but not tidy.

The front is 5 piece glass. It was on the car when it was imported in 1988. I'm wondering whether i should make a mould of it just in case.

I have the same problem - the car looks stupid with skinny wheels and flares. So think i will get some steels made to fill them out. But with wide wheels and low down it will need a good motor too...

The car has some aftermarket springs in it. Sits at about 120mm, still needs to come down a bit. Think i will chop the rears a little to bring it down level. Looks like you can't get them too low at the back without a CV conversion anyway. Also the chassis rails sit pretty low on them anyway.

When i do it properly i will get some silvia coilovers and modify them to fir the bottom part of the Z strut. I need to find a full spare set of struts to do that though because i want to keep the ones that are in it as spares. Know anyone with a set?

I would go ahead and make a mould.There was one for sale on TM a few mths back.

The nose on my car was also on it when imported,around the same time.

My build number is 004811,most likely one of the latter build dates for a C-GS31.

Yeah you may need CV's to go alot lower.

Mine rides hard,with not alot of roll but id still like it lower.............it sits way too high.

I dont know anyone with any sylvia parts sorry man.

Why are you thinking of selling yours?

The springs on mine are harder than factory, its nice to drive and feels really planted all the time. I'm sure it will drive worse really low without work like RCA's etc.

Its a pity cars look so much better lower.

I am looking for a set of Z struts, not Silvia ones.

Thinking of selling as im about to look into buying a house,perfect deposit right there.

Im after around 8g for mine.

I have Z parts,but only the rear shocks and maybe calipers.

They do look nice lower.Check out how hi mine is and go "eeeek!"

• 2 weeks later...

Took the old girl out to a trackday on tuesday. Was awesome fun, managed to learn how to drive the thing a bit better.

Also found out it has a LSD...coming out of the dipper at Ruapuna. Doesn't take much throttle to get the back coming out.

Car is quite neutral on the limit, however tends to oversteer more than understeer. Might be down to the tyres, which are shit. Hopefully can afford some new/2nd hand better tyres before the next trackday.

Would also like to get some new poly bushes in the suspension, and will replace the diff oil cos its whining a bit and who knows when it was last replaced.

sounds like fun!

Doubt itll be an LSD if he done nothing to the engine,wouldnt warrent putting an LSD in,hard enough to break traction at speed,in anything other than 2nd gear without dunping the clutch at anything over 3500rpm with a 1998cc inline 6.

I can get both wheels going on an un-even road surface with my car,no LSD there........might be worth asking the PO though cant hurt.

IF,and i say IF it has an LSD,the whining may be more than just old oil,bad quality or lack there-of,it may be that the LSD was put into an r200 carrier without checking the manual?

I know bugger all about cars to be brutally honest,just trying to throw what I know out there,may be of use,but again......unless its written in stone.................. :rolleyes:

It has a r180 from what i can tell.

Didn't think it had an LSD either, but it would explain why it did what it did at the track. I jacked it up and had a play, with both wheels off the ground and in neutral both wheels spin the same way when you spin one. When in gear the other wheel will spin the opposite way, but its very hard (re: i could only just turn it with my hands). With someone holding the other wheel and me trying to turn the opposite the wheel was impossible to turn when out of gear.

From what I've read it sounds like it has an LSD but yeah, can't confirm until i pull the back of the diff housing off and have a look.

Was kinda annoying being the slowest car down the straight haha. Still most cars couldn't keep up with me. Need L28

well it could be an LSD from a subie?

I couldnt tell you so wont go making out I know what im talking about,as I dont.

Could be a LSD for sure.

What ratio is it?

Sounds like you had fun,exactly what the Zed was built for :)

Definately go L28 forsure,much more fun over 4-5g revs (even though im having trouble getting mine to rev frely over 5g).

I had a play with the orig AFM the other day,wound it up a little,and it only has earlier throttle responce,wasting same amount of gas no doubt :lol:

I pulled in the drive in second gear without realising it and dumpd the clutch,it smoked up big real fast.........then I thought ("you meathead,duh,youre still in second after the heinous compression lock pulling up).

I love Zeds man,youre addicted arent you......c'mon...you know you are,lol.

Yeah figure it could be a viscous unit from a Subaru. Who knows, i will find out next week when i replace the oil.

Not sure on the ratio either. Should be 4.11 i think according to my research for the Z-L but who knows.

Yeah had huge fun aye. Surprised i didn't spin off at any point. There is another one in a couple weeks so hopefully i'll have the coin to go to that one too.

Of course i am addicted. The thing is awesome. Can't see me selling it ever really.

I'm umming and ahhing about cutting the guards on it to run the ZG flares with 8.5 / 9.5 inch wheels on it. I'd do it properly but i'm still not sure if it is a good idea. And pretty much means i need to stick to ZG style for good.

Mate,its YOUR car,do what you want to do with it.If you had the fucking good taste to pick a ZED,make it YOUR Zed.

They are way understimated these days,with the power to weight ratio of rotangs and SR's and RB's......id still rather have an L series for originality,or and RB if I wanted to inadvertantly wreck the car.

Do you know alot of the S20 engine datsun used in the 432R?

If not,take a stroll down datsun history lane and check that sucker out!!!

A guy in the states made a head for one out of two heads,and it worked.

The site is either hybridz.org or zcar.com..........wealth of info for the few Zed nuts like us.

After taking my bitch out today,I dont want to sell it either,love coming into corners (dead end streets ofcourse) and letting it go sideways in second.......................

I really got to get to a track someday soon.

Im moving to Waiuku next week,so pukekohe is only a sparrows drunken stagger away from me :D

Yeah fair enough. The L series can make enough power anyway i reckon. 300hp in a car that weighs around a ton isn't going to be slow.

S20 is mean but i don't really have $30k for an engine. Would love to build a 432R replica out of the car and slot in a n/a RB on sidedraughts!

Just been searching Ebay in the states, man there is a lot of parts on there. It's awesome. Going to buy a set of Z blank keys and get them cut.