My cars engine is shit ... pinthoe help required

My name is Russell

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fix your compression first as said 2 cylinders with low compression is going to give you a rough idle

Can of compression anyone? :D

Nah I fully agree with Joeseph here, having half the compression on two cylinders isn't going to do good for the drivability of the engine. I would definitely get that head off (after checking tappets aren't too tight) and find out what's stopping the valves from sealing properly, and then rectify that.

Did you say you had a spare carb? If so try using that and see if anything changes.

Thats what i would of thought to but i know sweet fuck all about engines.

Swaped the intire carb with another spare one i had and it didn't change a thing. Then added a breather and that reduced the smoke but still signs of smoke.

Similar but different, i can't remember the model name but mine is the model with the auto choke

We need to consider/eliminate that too. I should have thought of it before. It is electric (with a bi-metal scroll) or water activated?

@ Other helpful chaps talking about compression: I have seen the car and fiddled with it a bit on Monday night. There is a serious overfueling issue. If you were able to see/hear/smell it yourselves you would most likely agree that it is fuel system related

Similar but different, i can't remember the model name but mine is the model with the auto choke

We need to consider/eliminate that too. I should have thought of it before. It is electric (with a bi-metal scroll) or water activated?

@ Other helpful chaps talking about compression: I have seen the car and fiddled with it a bit on Monday night. There is a serious overfueling issue. If you were able to see/hear/smell it yourselves you would most likely agree that it is fuel system related

Its got water plumbed to run through the auto choke, gaz thought this could be a potential problem also.

I thought the majority of overfueling had gone away with the introduction of the breather or am i wrong gaz? We have not done much testing since installing it as nabours complained and was doing gaz car last night. When i test drove it around the block there was no smell of fuel like it used to have when secondaries opened, but it did stall every time i slowed down and as the fluctuating idle came on.

Basicly it drove really well, but every time i had to slow down it stalled on me.

I also want to replace my battery terminals, as they are caroded, i just need to find some large crimpers / lugs. UJ do you or Aiden have large crimpers?

Keen to test fuel flow UJ to eliminate that as a potential problem.

[i also want to replace my battery terminals, as they are caroded, i just need to find some large crimpers / lugs. UJ do you or Aiden have large crimpers?.
We borrowed some crimpers from Jacob and I think they are still at the workshop. Buy the terminals and we can crimp Satrurday afternoon

[i also want to replace my battery terminals, as they are caroded, i just need to find some large crimpers / lugs. UJ do you or Aiden have large crimpers?.
We borrowed some crimpers from Jacob and I think they are still at the workshop. Buy the terminals and we can crimp Satrurday afternoon

Mean cheers

Carb is a 32/36 DGAV, (Autochoke model of what you have posted pic of above. Has bi metalic strip and water goes through it.

Still running rich but not as rich as before. Still havnt driven round block to confirm.

Id say we need a valve grind at the minimum.

Carb is a 32/36 DGAV, (Autochoke model of what you have posted pic of above. Has bi metalic strip and water goes through it.

Still running rich but not as rich as before. Still havnt driven round block to confirm.

Id say we need a valve grind at the minimum.

It doesn't need a valve job before the wedding. It goes like a rocket.

I am suspicious of this autochoke. Are they known to give trouble?

If you had put a pushrod motor into this car you would not be having this trouble.

:rolleyes::lol:

As others have said, you're wasting your time even looking at the fuel system when the compression isn't right. Everything is dependant on something else. There's no way a carb will ever give the right AFR with fecked up compression.

You'd want to check tappet clearances first to make sure all the valves actually close...... probably not.

Steve

As others have said, you're wasting your time even looking at the fuel system when the compression isn't right.

I agree and we where aware of that from the very start. It was the very first thing UJ tried to get right on the car. its just diagnosing it thats whats causing the problem but the more advice you guys give its staring to look like valves.

had the same sort of problem with my van mate

was fine sometimes and while driving it it would start

running like a bag of shit . puffing smoke, fouling the plugs

i have the weber with the auto choke just removed the chokes

and it runs like a dream and no bogging down at all.

Ok that sounds re asuring ... how do you go about removing the auto choke can you literally just remove it of the side and take the rotating buterfly choke type bit out?

The only thing is what are the chances of that happeneing on two different carbs?

But definatly someting to look at, as there is a change from whem whan the car starts cold to when it warms up so could be something to do with that.

Ok that sounds re asuring ... how do you go about removing the auto choke can you literally just remove it of the side and take the rotating buterfly choke type bit out?

i will remove it completely when i get back from auckland

but for now i just remover the 2 chokes and the shaft.

runs so much nicer mate

i will remove it completely when i get back from auckland

but for now i just remover the 2 chokes and the shaft.

runs so much nicer mate

Agreed the auto choke on the DGAV is notoriusly bad in my experiences with them, remove the linkage and buterflys, you can also remove the choke and join the water lines together if you want. they run nicer just a bit harder to start and get up to temp haha.

And if your auto choke if fucked parts are hard to come by so a manual conversion is a good idea.