ideas for a mk2 esky

grdwalker

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what year zetec is the recomended? and price wise? how hard to install loom? etc. what about the BP engine with an mx5 5spd?

No idea on the year. Do some research on google. Should be around a $500 engine tho IMO.

Loom, you can either make your own or strip the standard one of what you dont want. Perhaps LINK has a direct bolt in ECU which would come with loom.

Zetecs cheap as chips, its the modding that'll get cha ;) depends on what you wanna do with the engine but any early black top zetec would be mint. The new duratec is the same as zetec just with a alloy block that apparntly isnt as good at putting the power through and putting up with the same thrashing. Search burton power on google, they will sell you everything you need for the conversion, you can just look at there pics and have a go at making it yourself or get some local fabricator to for you.

Another option could be rebuild the kent, beleave me 3k doesnt even go that far on rebuilding one seriously. A reasonable build on the kent will see you over 100hp with excellent throttle responce, also avoids getting a cert as wel as being cool nd old school.

What conversion parts would you need to buy?

- Make your engine and gbox mounts

- Focus steel sump and mod it yourself

- Redirect waterline yourself

- Linkages are all doable yourself

- Box bolts up, think the flywheel or clutch may need a bit of work? (see google)

- Get driveshaft shortened yourself (or mount engine so you can use a standard type)

- Custom extractors and exhaust

- Twin 45's OR Custom ECU and loom (megasquirt does one for the Zetec which is cheaper than Link)

Carburator manifold may be the only thing you need to buy in from UK

Gaz

They are a good engine but power wise, a pinto would be best ford engine in terms of power per $.

Not really relevant but I read an artical in the weekend on getting 200bhp from ford engines. Had good write ups on around 5 Ford 4pot engines, Kent, Pinto, Zetec, Duratec and the NA YB. Apart from the 1600 the 2l was the most expensive to get 200hp out of. So guess it depends on what power he is after.

Gaz

True if you have the skills to make the bits then it's not too difficult, but I certainly dont.

There was a really good guide to fitting the zetec on the cheap with home made parts, but the site is now down.

You are right that with just building an engine on its own the pinto wouldnt be the cheapest to get 200bhp, but i was thinking in the situation if I wanted to fit an engine in a mkii i would also need to buy all the conversion parts and the pinto needs minimal extras to fit.

whats involved in rebuilding the engine? a comprehensive list?

What I'm part way through doing to my mk1

Hardend oversize stainless steel valves

Stainless steel valve seat

Valves fitted with dual angel seats

Head face machined

Port and Polish

Cam kit (keepers, followers and retainers)

Alloy Rocker Cover

Block sonic tested, bored and machined

New oversized High Compression pistons

New water pump

New High pressure and high volume oil pump

Electronic fuel pump

Electronic ignition(megajolt)

Then theres the intake and exhaust to do, I've sorted my exhaust and want to sort out my intake now, if anyone has any exp on side or down drafts I'd love to hear from you, i hav heard sides dont fit in to well.

If the gearbox is also reconed then it is a good price as they cost a bit to do.

But if you could do it yourself you could do the bottom end for a tad less.

Bearings around $200

Bottom end set $60

Crank polish around $80

Pistons and rings (if you need both) $300

Engine $150

All of this is considering you dont need a crank grind or rebore, guess it doesnt include lube, silicon etc etc.

Just saw pics and seems it has rebuilt head and new clutch which I didnt see before. In this case I think $1500 is a good price. Alot of that would be spent in parts if you were to do it yourself.

Maybe ask what EXACTLY was replaced where etc and if he has receipts.

Eg of some questions:

Has the auxiallry drive bearing been replaced?

Cam bearings replaced?

Rebore or just a hone?

New pistons? (looks that way)

Oil pump drive

If it has an aftermarket or new cam have the tappets been machined to match

Does it come with alt, starter, dizzy? Have these been reconed at all?

Has it had new valves?

Valve inserts?

Is it running lash caps?

Has it had any porting?

Umm if gbox is recon what did he do? bearings, syncros...?There are many morew but I gotta go work on mine now lol.

These are all things that people may miss when rebuilding or refreshing an engine.. When he says "full recondition" it could mean differant things to differant people.

Pinto is a very easy conversion ... or though it is easy for it to become an expensive conversion, by the time you get cert, brake upgrade, re locate battery, extractors, box, driveshaft shortened, carbs, coil, dizzy, upgrade radiator, electric fan, etc etc can be done on the cheap i guess.

For something different and way cooler IMO ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... s/auction-

204139994.htm

Not sure how hard it is to find a MX5 box for it, but the engines are really common at pick a part etc and there are lots of aftermarket options for turbo bits etc.

brake upgrade, re locate battery, extractors, coil, upgrade radiator

Can change to pinto with out doing any of that, but make sure the Xflow rad is in mint condition.

Yup yup.

1600 and 2l cortinas are the same core sized radiators anyways.