Powder coating wheel centres

Gaz

Am wanting to paint/coat/whatever the centres of my volks. They come out etc so is an easy job. Just wondering if anyone has done this before or any info on it? Just wondering if it will increase the size of the centre much making it hard to get back in?

Is powder coating the best optioin? Just going tro black.

His rough quote was $120 for the 4. Saves me the time of preping them all up etc.

Gaz

Yeah thats what im worried about. Other option is get them dipped in something to remove ALL the paint and then I can reapint them. Paint just aint THAT durable on rims tho.

Where would acid dip them or something for me?

Gaz

you can strip em with paint stripper quite easily ,

lather them up with stripper then lay some plastic against it so it don't dry out front and back leave in the shade until all the paints bubbling off then peal off the plastic and the paint

should come with it,

powder coat will take two goes normally paint just one,

then water blast the rest off with a steam cleaner,

profit!!

apparently arrow wheels can do a clear powdercoat if you want to polish then protect your bands/centres,

bead blaster can be used also but does leave the alloy with a matt blasted finish that polishing out would be a pain but is perfect for paint,

have a mate that can do a good deal on powder coating as he does aluminium joinery

and can do just about any colour with effects in them,

my works were gunmetal with charcoal flake through them looked like metalic paint

It may have been the port road one, it was in Seaview so very likely. I think there is one in Mirimar also.

I have just taken the centres out of the rims and it is pretty tight fit around the mounting bolts.

Ok will go see the guy and get his opionion also.

Am going to attempt to polish the lips myself while the centres are out. The fronts are a bit pitted from the brake dust. There was a thread on cleaning them linked last year but I dont know where, anyone got it in favorites?

Was going to start with bout a 1200 wet and dry snadpaper. Is that ok? Then go 2000ish and then autosol. Is that right?

Also the valve that is in the rim, do they have to have the tyres off to put a new one in? I.e can I just rip it out? I want to clean them with the tyres still fitted.

Gaz

Ok will go see the guy and get his opionion also.

Am going to attempt to polish the lips myself while the centres are out. The fronts are a bit pitted from the brake dust. There was a thread on cleaning them linked last year but I dont know where, anyone got it in favorites?

Was going to start with bout a 1200 wet and dry snadpaper. Is that ok? Then go 2000ish and then autosol. Is that right?

Also the valve that is in the rim, do they have to have the tyres off to put a new one in? I.e can I just rip it out? I want to clean them with the tyres still fitted.

Gaz

I have metal polisher wheel and soap. Can use in drill. Can borrow. Can come for beer. Can ignore recession. Can do other stuff too.

Peace.