Ex lancer - handling questions

Guest tarmac-

Guest tarmac-

hey guys

just a quicky, im looking at doing a 4g63t into a ex lancer, nothing special, however, what im wondering is with bigger sigma sway bar and nolethane bushes around, how well do they actually handle.

reason i ask is im looking to enter something with a good power/weight ratio into circuit racing, and have always been keen on th 4g63. or am i just chasing my tail with such old an old car.. the car would be caged as nessasary, so chassis stiffness will be fine however just this handling part of it, i wonder if im better to look for another chassis.. im coming from a 280kw r33 4door which handles wicked, however im hooked on the idea of a highpowered ex lancer; tell me if i should go down this route or not??

any help is appreciated..

cheers

It's not going to be a handling monster.. well not easily anyway. They're pretty much like your typical KE70 DX Corolla.. both are usually econo jap boxes with live rear axle and a weak engine and brakes to begin with (apart from the EX GSR of course). Luckily with both there are other cars of the same era which stuff can be swapped over to (ie AE86 gear into KE70, Sigma/Starion gear into EX).

The expensive stuff will be the diff and the brakes, especially if you try track down genuine EX GSR stuff - if you want decent brakes you'll probably end up adapting a disk setup of some sort on a sigma wagon 10-bolt diff (same diffhead and axles as EX GSR, just not LSD), and use Starion struts and Sigma bottom arms up front (I think that's the combination to use anyway).

Personally if I were to get an early 80s RWD Mitsi for handling - it would be the Starion, problem is they're too heavy for what they are, but they tick all the right boxes - near 50/50 weight split, IRS, most have LSD, four wheel vented disc brakes, turbo injected engine etc.

Guest tarmac-

When you say steering box, do you mean the actual steering rack itself or?? I would be planning on using sigma rack sway bar subframe etc, and will modify the fire wall slightly; i think it'd be beneficial getting the engine sitting that little bit extra back for weight balance.. I still have my research to do, but its something that ive wanted to do for a while, and seems quite straight foward.

So fuel, basically your saying that my best bet without forking out $$$ is to run with a sigma wagon 10-bolt diff and brake setup? I would plan on locking this up for sure. I guess if shit really didnt hold together, then id be looking at going hilux rear, but id rather not go there.

Dan; Yeah i would start from scratch, much prefer it this way as you know the in's n outs of ya car.

Thanks for your replies.

sorry was meaning to say it will be expensive if you use a genuine EX GSR diff and brake setup, or Hilux diff modified to suit the EX etc, possibly not as expensive if you find a Sigma wagon 10 bolt diff, and adapt some disc brakes onto it as they have drums originally.

Steering box lets the Lancer and Starion down - I don't know why Mitsi continued with steering boxes in the 80s, while everyone else was using rack and pinion Mitsi chugged along with steering boxes on their RWD cars still.

sorry was meaning to say it will be expensive if you use a genuine EX GSR diff and brake setup, or Hilux diff modified to suit the EX etc, possibly not as expensive if you find a Sigma wagon 10 bolt diff, and adapt some disc brakes onto it as they have drums originally.

Steering box lets the Lancer and Starion down - I don't know why Mitsi continued with steering boxes in the 80s, while everyone else was using rack and pinion Mitsi chugged along with steering boxes on their RWD cars still.

Isn't the Starion Galant based? Probably just kept with what they had cos it wasn't worth changing for one model that had quite a niche market, same for the EX GSR I'd say, though that obviously wasn't Galant based.

Back on topic, have a squiz through a fella named macabre's thread in the project section. He Used the 10 bolt Sigma diff and locked it up. His is one of the better/more successful coversions of this nature going around I reckon.

yuh a Starion is the successor to my shape Galant/Eterna turbo, chassis is more or less the same with some differences - shorter wheelbase, wider strut towers up front. Was referring to 80s Mitsi sports cars, ie EX Lancer GSR and Starion which still had steering box. Cheapness on Mitsi's part really. Even my Viva has rack and pinion.

Tanks diff was from a diesel model import Galant Sigma I think, factory solid discs - the turbo auto Galants had solid disk brake rear also but vented discs. Manuals had IRS.

Ahhhh yeah I couldn't remember how he got the discs on the rear

What about the shitty non-turbo Starion with live rear end? Drums or discs? May be a figment of my imagination

yeah non turbo starion would also probably have the 10 bolt diff with solid discs too, hardly any of them around though.

Guest tarmac-

Interesting.

Ive never really known much about steering boxes... Obviously some sort of converion would be a complete mission.. Is there a way to make the most of steering boxes, or is there anything upgradable/ swap to rack+pinion ??

Ill check out macabre's build, sounds like the go.

if you want my 2 cents, handling is for faggots

hahah, all about the class with a pic like that :lol: weld a couple of sway bars together

I really wouldn't think that box steering should affect handling that much. I mean, it might not have as good feedback as a a rack and pinion, and will be heavier, but i cant see it having worse handling due to it.

i.e. conversion to r&p might make it nicer to drive, but isnt going to make it faster around the bends.

Lots of cars known for handling well use steering boxes. If i were you i'd just recondition the box and adjust it properly. Will make a world of difference over a 30year old worn one.