Carb issues with Toyota 21R-U

johnnyfive

So the hilux is giving me a few/lots running issues.

At first it was just hesitant to idle well once it had warmed up and (I assume) come off the auto choke thing.

It would rev up, die, rev up, die, getting worse and worse till it stalled.

And more recently it has decided to stop going completely at times, or just gradually (or on occasions instantly) loose power, and eventually become undriveable. When it does this it'll fire up, and die nearly instantly.

If you are lucky it will backfire, and come right for a while. Or if it doesn't do it itself, you can swap a few leads round and make it backfire.

This bit sounds like blocked/blocking jets right? The backfire through the carb loosening up whatever garbage?

And when it is running, just doing the hunting rpm thing, I have noticed that with the air filter off, if you half cover/restrict the carb, it'll smooth right out and idle will pick up, no missing, like new.

Could this be due to air leak on manifold/carb?

The carb is a terrible looking Thing covered in vacuum hoses and shite, which I'd like to remove from the picture, as I am unsure what function most of them serve and whether they work. Some vacuum hoses look questionable, I have just begun to plug the useless looking ones with shitty hoses (in vain).

I'm not a master of much so any help is appreciated. I doubt I'd be having these problems with a simpler carb, so even if anyone knows which will work that'd also be choice...

Cheers..

I'm not a master of much so any help is appreciated. I doubt I'd be having these problems with a simpler carb, so even if anyone knows which will work that'd also be choice...

Cheers..

Grab a carb off a 21R Cressida/other non U 21R

K33N. Anyone got one plz?

what is the standard carb?

or just get a Weber and be done with it. I think I have one or 2 off a lancia in bits in a box somewhere.

Some 2 barrel generic jap emissions spec carb. I am pretty sure its been repowered with some form of complicated import motor. EGR is blocked off also.

Tried to move the thing around the section today, was a cunt to start, only got it going with millions of pumps of gas pedal, and then ran questionably..

Cheers..

Meant to be picking up a rusty RX60 this weekend (was meant to be last weekend but the guy went out of town) so should have the carb off that for you.

Some 2 barrel generic jap emissions spec carb. I am pretty sure its been repowered with some form of complicated import motor. EGR is blocked off also.

Yeah I have only heard of R powered Hiluxs coming from the factory with 18/20/22R's but that's on US forums

Cheers..

Meant to be picking up a rusty RX60 this weekend (was meant to be last weekend but the guy went out of town) so should have the carb off that for you.

That'd be awesome as bowl, Lub you long time etc.

Yeah I have only heard of R powered Hiluxs coming from the factory with 18/20/22R's but that's on US forums

Yeah, Chassis tag says 18R... And bit of the wirings all scruffy looking from being moved from RH side dizzy to LH.

• 2 weeks later...

Check the fuel filter and float bowl for crap

one of my celica's did exactly what you describe cos the fuel filter was full of crap and some got through through to the carb, it would start/idle but as soon as it revved it died due to crap being moved around in the fuel