Irritating recurring engine fuck up

DangerousPerson

I have an old '57 Morri' Minor with a huge 950cc engine.

Have had a problem that I can't seem to solve for a long time.

It's like a riddle or something that you don't know the answer to and I'm hoping someone can slap me over the head and tell me it's something obvious, cheap to fix and easy to fix.

When I drive at high revs (by high I mean when I'm going 50km's or more) the engine cuts out.

But only for a second since I can push in the clutch when it cuts, release clutch and it fires back up (if I'm in gear of course).

So I've tried to narrow it down to what it could be.

So far I have replaced the coil, fuel pump (twice), spark plugs, flushed out fuel tank and lines and cleaned carburetor.

Even double checked it wasn't fuel lines by putting a fuel can in car with petrol and running a new fuel hose to the fuel pump but no success. It did run a bit longer than usual but not sure if it's just 'cos the engine was hot. I did notice though that when it stopped and I didn't start it straight away, the fuel pump went nuts (like my old one used to) with the loud dry-pumping noise it gets with no fuel.

Running out of ideas and money at this point and really just don't know what it could be.

My brother in Hawkes Bay suggested problems with tappets, timing, resistance or points.

If anyone else has had a similar problem or reckons they know what it might be pleeeeeeeeease help.

could be fuel vaporisation

fuel line/carb getting too hot

also check that the wires to the coil are on correctly, mine was just sitting there and at a certain rev range it would vibrate off just enough to let the car die

but yea sounds like fuel vaporisation

fit a spacer between the carb and the manifold and reroute your fuel line to the wing side of the carb

never hurts to check the points are sweet and timing isnt out of course

• 3 weeks later...

Got pissed off with the old piece of shit distributor cap too and found a mini one fits perfect so can put normal leads on. Well pleased.

Running well now with all new leads and plugs and big bro tuned it. Does use a lot of oil but that's to be expected. Any good tricks for sealing up leaks though? Have replaced the side plate gaskets twice now and used a shit load of gasket goo stuff on it but they still leak. Goes through (in leaks) 3ltrs of oil every thousand kms which can't be normal.

Also does any one know the stud spacing on Morri's? Want some nicer wheels and want to know if they're the same as any other cars?

what year is it? unless (oh i see 57) its an early series 2 (split screen) itl be 4x4inch

the earlier ones like mine are 4x 114.3

if it has wheel bolts its 114.3 if its studs its 4 inches

slam some viva wheels on there is my suggestion

as for the leak

check your breather and carb vacuum lines are unblocked and hooked up correctly

the "rear seal" usually leaks, its a bearing with a thread in it so as it spins it winds the oil back in :doubt:

950cc - is it a sidevalve?

Hmmmmm not really too sure on some things. I'll take some pics of the engine bay later and let you be the judge. As for the rear seal I don't think that's too bad atm as the leaks are all visible from the top of the engine. It seems to come out of everywhere though so may need a lot of work done ie even the spark plugs get oily and leak.