Final skim coat

solidstripe

Hey all, just trying my hand at paneling on my old mans wagon, fixing up some dings and scraps on the drivers side. Pretty stoked with how it's gone so far, my 1st proper time using my new hammer and dolly kit thing that I got for a present and used a bit of bog as well to smooth it all out. It's come out mint IMO.

I've used the fanciest bog I could find at repco and used a random oribital sander thing to get it all smooth, don't know if either of those is a good thing, but it's come up pretty flash, and it's artic white when it'l be resprayed.

There's just a few little blemishs about 1-3mm wide and about the same deep, and I was wondering is there any like, final skim coat of bog thing that I can use to fill them? I've had that high build primer stuff but it was from a can and only had a tiny nossle on it so don't know who effective that was. Only good for filling the sanding marks really. But is there anything I can buy easyly for filling these tiny holes in the bog?

Knifing putty? Is that like glazing putty?

Yeah, I'm sanding the last coat by hand and upping getting finer and finer sandpaper. I used to paint houses and the same basic principles apply for getting it nice and smooth. Or at least that's what I've found out. Sand in circles or crossing etc...

Oh yeah, is a orby sander a bad idea? I had some reservations, but it's come up sooo smooth, and sooo much quicker!!

Yep. Putty for the little pin holes.

Um, orbital sander = kinda average as the pressure isn't equal as you work over the whole area. Are you doing spots or whole panels?

Anyway. For final finishes

1st - spray on a light (dry dust coat) of black paint from a spray can on large surfaces

2nd - get a long board (some just use a bit of 2x4 with paper on it) about 30cm long and sand in cross direction over panel untill you have no more black paint. Then do the detail areas around windows and doors etc with a little block/bare paper

(So say your doing a door on the car. Hold the board horizontal and sand from the bottom left to the top right of the door and then the opposite)

Keep sanding untill all the black is gone. If you cant get rid of the black then youll have to put on more high build primer or body filler

Cus your doing a white car it wont be too hard to get a real good finish. Dark colours are harder.

Im no pro so ppl tell me if ive missed anything

Yeah I can see a spot or two where there's a high or low spot, I just use a light at one end and look down it for shadows + touch it, but might give that a go. I figure white will hide a little bit of it, but want to do a good a job as possible as I might try doing the Prince. So putty seems to be the go?

Edit: Is there also anything you can mark the bit's to fill with? Like chalk or something? Something that won't effect or bleed through the paint? I've just been using little bit's of sticky tape to mark spots to fill but it's annoying.

Edit: Is there also anything you can mark the bit's to fill with? Like chalk or something? Something that won't effect or bleed through the paint? I've just been using little bit's of sticky tape to mark spots to fill but it's annoying.

A light guide coat sanded back, any that doesn't sand out easily is more than likely a low spot that could use a skim of putty.

And the light dust coat shouldn't bleed through

To see the areas you need to sand or fill you can stand back a bit and quickly spray over a speckled coat of black.

When you sand by hand and the speckle dissapears its pretty much good to paint.

Putty for sure for pin holes but be careful not to fill to bigger holes or it doen's dry properly.

Corey

1st - spray on a light (dry dust coat) of black paint from a spray can on large surfaces

try not to use the spray can to use as a guide coat, its shit house to sand and clogs up teh sandpaper real fuckin quick, better off using some basecoat through a gun. i think you can get a actual guide coat spray can but im not too sure