No brakes with hard pedal

kecam

Got a bit of a problem here, will write out what i've been upto in hope of having enough details.

72 corolla (disc front drum rear) running a celica supra booster and master cylinder.

All was fine as was putting the car back together and as I was bleeding the brakes found the front LH caliper bleed nipple was cross threaded so got a 2nd hand caliper with another nipple.

Put the caliper in and at the same time had to take out the brake setup(lines, prop valve etc) and turn them around. As I was doing the re-bleed the brakes would stick on hard at the front (at the front at least) with 1 pump of the brake and the only way to release them was to bleed the pressure out.

Bought a 2nd hand master cyl (the same type) and also received the booster with it. Installed them yesterday and filled up the resivour with brake fluid. Stepped on the pedal and it sunk to the floor (like there was nothing behind) so I opened up the bleed valve on the master cyl to get the fluid through it.

Tried again and this time the brake pedal stops hard after a short distance and will go no further.(like with the old booster/master cyl but this time the brakes do not lock on) When putting your foot down there is the most minimal amount of braking power to the front brakes that lasts for a milasecond before the wheel becomes free spinning again even with foot flat down. It's like putting your foot against a brick instead of the gradual stiffness the brake pedal usually has. There's no braking power to either rear nor front.

The rubber brake hoses are new and with the master cyl and booster being swapped/replaced i'm running out of ideas?

Going out on a limb - it sounds like you may have plumbed the front brakes into the port on the M/C for the rear brakes. That would explain your lock up problem (residual pressure valve).

If your M/C is in the engine bay then the front brakes should be plumbed into the port closest to the firewall

Yeah I bench bled the master cylinder to a point but that wouldn't explain the circumstances if I hadn't anyway.

The lines are plumbed right - The new master cyl/booster doesn't lock up anymore, the brakes just don't come on at all :twisted:

this sounds gay but try bleeding your brakes from the cloest nipple to the far most one , you will in a matter of minutes narrow your fuckup in that amount of time ... im a tad intoxicated right now but you siad somthing about teh proportioning valve? what did you do with that?

I will try another big bleed but since there is already fluid at all nipples there should at least be some braking power or at least a pedal which goes to the floor. If there was a pinched line am I correct in saying the rear brakes should at least still work?

I didn't touch the proportioning valve because neither front or rear work 8)

Yeah, it's been bled a few times due to caliper fucking out then old master cylinder so if there's any air in the system it should be hardly any although i'll give a full re-bleed yet another go. The minimal brake pressure which goes back to being 0 after a millasecond of applying the brake is what gets me, everything points to master cyl/booster but theyve been replaced.

• 1 year later...

Possibly reversed or damaged some seals in the master cylinder.

That 1st pump of the pedal to the floor could have done some damage(crap inside/dry wall cylinder), poss worth pulling the old one apart and re-kitting it and giving it another go. Even complete brand new cylinders arent that expensive