Help with l20b not starting

Brock-Lee

Parked up and she was running fine. Now it really struggles to start and when it does it misses like a fuckin blind man at pool. I have checked distributor cap and leads etc. I have a feeling it may be the coil but how do I check if the coil is working/not working.

ps. the only reason i have a feeling that it is the coil because that is basically all I havent checked.

Assuming it isn't really low on fuel I would suggest checking for spark before you check the coil.

Pull a lead off, peel the boot back a bit, rest it on the rocker cover and have someone else crank the motor over. If there is a spark from the lead to the rocket cover then the coil is not likely to be an issue.

Okay this is fucking me off. the plugs were fouled to hell and had a huuuuuge gap. so I put new plug in it. it ran, I was like sweet took it for a drive and under ay power it start spluttering and backfiring. I am thinking that it timing now, But i dont have a timing light and I only vaugely now how to check/check timing anyways.

Can anyone in Christchurch come round and give me a hand. I will throw some beers your way if you can.

If you can gimme a hand then please txt me on 0273452400.

Cheers,

Dave

lol scrap the timing idea. I now think it is the carburettor. I will whip that off and check the jets etc. some fuck head has replaced a fuel line with non fuel specific hose and the hose has all perished an shit. Im thinking that this would have blocked up jets an shit. I hope so anyways.

Guest Armourking

hey there did you get it sorted, how old is the coil? i had to replace my one on my 180b when it wouldn't go and it just stopped for no reason also the condensor can give the same effect?

Yea im pretty sure its not coil related. it seems to idle sweet on first start up and thn if you leave it at idle then it just gradually gets worse until it dies. Im still thinking carby or timing. Im gonna pull carb apart today to see if any jets are blocked and after that I will need to borrow a timing light.

Just a quick question Ifa coil is fucked can it work intermittantly? or will it just not work?

Yea im pretty sure its not coil related. it seems to idle sweet on first start up and thn if you leave it at idle then it just gradually gets worse until it dies. Im still thinking carby or timing. Im gonna pull carb apart today to see if any jets are blocked and after that I will need to borrow a timing light.

Just a quick question Ifa coil is fucked can it work intermittantly? or will it just not work?

They normally work or don't.

Your problem is fuel supply related

how do I check if the coil is working/not working.

remove the HT lead from the coil and stick your finger in the end of the coil and the other hand onto the engine block - then get a friend to try and start the car - if it works - a little red light on the firewall will come on

Nah, that's likely timing my good man.

What you want to do, if find an old carb'd L-series Laurel or a 240 or 260C single carb. Get the carb off that, and slap it onto your 910. I tell you, the difference is magic.

I had all manner of problems with my 910 cutting out intermittently and then just grabbed the old carb from my C110 and threw it on there (because the 110 is running twin ESS UZE now) and it was choice.

Sadly, my brother still absolutely destroyed me in his 1200 wagon :lol: When i say destroyed, what I really mean is that he kept beside me through most the acceleration before slowly pulling away, I count it as destroyed because his 1200 wagon is fucken pushrod a-series 1.2 and the 910 was OHC L-series 2.0. I was gutted/didn't really care/still cry about it/never raced him in the first place officer.

What's the engine earth strap like? I had an old Citroen GS club ( not very standard - it did the Paris-Dakar! ) which did similar. Then one day it eventually started, then failed 500m up the road. lifted the lid to find a nice little fire - it was only the fact that it was -30C and the cold air put the fire out that saved the car. Engine was earthing through the high pressure hydraulic pipe for the suspension - once melted, the oil burnt quite well really.

See, I have a reason for hating French cars, and that one was a flyer!