Differances between old Link EMX and the new series

Gaz

There is currently a link ECU on trademe for a ca18det.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =145290753

Depending on what it goes for Im keen.

Before I ring up link and ask them the differances between this link and the new basic model Id like some background info. So, does anyone have experiance with these or even better yet, know the differances?

Im pretty sure this would run my ca to the power I want and would be fine, anything I need to watch out for? Max boost or anything?

Gaz

we have one of these that was used in fuel only we ended up getting carbs so have it laying around. (i tihnk 90% of my problems were fucked 1970s injectors)

i have no idea of its iginition side

but the fuel side as far as i can tell is generic.

you can have it if you want. its pissed me off enough. brothers ment to be pulling its associated wiring out next week.

theres a manual for them on the link website.

• Like 1

we have one of these that was used in fuel only we ended up getting carbs so have it laying around. (i tihnk 90% of my problems were fucked 1970s injectors)

you can have it if you want. its pissed me off enough. brothers ment to be pulling its associated wiring out next week.

If gaz doesnt want it i could be keen..

Chur keen. Will see what it costs to get the ca18det chip chucked in it cause thatd suit ignition then also. Might as well talk to link and see what they reakon too.

Also megasquirt.. Looked into it a few months back a little, I dont mind building it BUT.. it was still around the $900 mark from memory?

I could grab some chip numbers off you guys with them and get them all individually but really thatd be an arse. What kinda $$$ we talking and where you guys been getting em from?

yes I have used an EMX before.

They are an old Link.. very old. I wouldn't use it. It was the first link I ever used when I first turbocharged my capri 2L.

It's okay... it's a decent step up from the previous model before that which actually used analog dials to tune. Just ask nismo about that..

anyway, the principle draw back about the EMX is that you physically have to be driving in the zone you want to tune. This meant hours of driving up and down in the county roads of canterbury tuning it up.

Eventally we concluded that the Link EMX would be fine for a n/a setup which is a lot less complicated to tune. But with booted engines it's a cunt. Imagine having a miss-fire in a certain zone in a certain gear and desperaly trying to hit that zone and adjust the computer in a split-second.

take my advice and leave it alone.

Also megasquirt.. Looked into it a few months back a little, I dont mind building it BUT.. it was still around the $900 mark from memory?

good god where'd you get quotes from go here

http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/megasquirt-kits-c-1.html

you want the megasquirt 1 v3 kit and run the extra code does everything for $187us so $231 and shippings like $20. Thats all you need, solder it up and make up a loom bam $900 would only be if you got it pre made and bought every wank kit that goes with it which you dont need

building it ups the easy part you may have to get pretty involved to get the ignition system going depends what type of pick up a ca runs

yes I have used an EMX before.

They are an old Link.. very old. I wouldn't use it. It was the first link I ever used when I first turbocharged my capri 2L.

It's okay... it's a decent step up from the previous model before that which actually used analog dials to tune. Just ask nismo about that..

anyway, the principle draw back about the EMX is that you physically have to be driving in the zone you want to tune. This meant hours of driving up and down in the county roads of canterbury tuning it up.

Eventally we concluded that the Link EMX would be fine for a n/a setup which is a lot less complicated to tune. But with booted engines it's a cunt. Imagine having a miss-fire in a certain zone in a certain gear and desperaly trying to hit that zone and adjust the computer in a split-second.

take my advice and leave it alone.

Advice taken. Sounds like a cuntie thing to get right.

good god where'd you get quotes from go here

http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/megasquirt-kits-c-1.html

you want the megasquirt 1 v3 kit and run the extra code does everything for $187us so $231 and shippings like $20. Thats all you need, solder it up and make up a loom bam $900 would only be if you got it pre made and bought every wank kit that goes with it which you dont need

building it ups the easy part you may have to get pretty involved to get the ignition system going depends what type of pick up a ca runs

Cheers dude will have a good look there tonight. Seems way cheaper. I was looking at one already setup for a 2l zetec.